TWENTY SIX

november 5th, 1984

TRANCES WERE STATES that Aven found herself in quite often. She zoned-out, becoming stuck in a dream, while her exterior body stayed still and unresponsive to any stimuli occurring around her. Right now, then, as Steve argued with Billy outside the front door to the Byers home, was an example of Aven being lost within her maze of a mind while the younger teens naively looked out the window at the more-obnoxious Hargrove twin.

A sudden jolt from them all snapped the girl back into her body. She turned to face them with furrowed brows as they all ducked behind the couch, holding their breaths. Aven warily stepped closer, eyes narrowed, as they all sent her a nervous glance.

"What were you doing?" She asked. Max gulped; she'd never heard the girl so serious.

Dustin hesitated. "Looking out the window."

Aven widened her eyes. "Idiots. Absolute idiots," she tsked beneath her breath as she turned to the side, running a hand down her face. She turned back to them. "Did he see you?"

"Maybe," Lucas shrugged. She clenched her jaw before reaching forward, pulling the teens away from the window.

"Go," she ordered as she ushered them down the hall.

Max turned around with wide eyes. "What? No!"

"Max. Go, now," Aven said.

"What will he do to you?" Mike asked, face twisted with concern. Max sent him a look that said it all.

"Just . . . please listen to me. Go hide in a room. I'll come get you when he's gone, I promise. I'll be fine."

Max narrowed her eyes. Dustin bit his lip worriedly. Lucas glanced between the rest of his friends. Mike studied the girl nervously. However, they all quickly ran down the hall and ducked into separate rooms. Max was the last to fully retreat, and as she hovered by the doorway, looking back down the hall, she watched Aven send her a final nod. Go, she mouthed, and reluctantly, the redhead complied.