He caught the girl off-guard. She widened her eyes, the skin against her lips becoming all too real, as he ran a hand back through his hair with an exaggerated wink. Aven smiled, pushing his hand down with a joking roll of her eyes.

"You wish," she mumbled, turning around to hide her ever growing blush and uncontrollable smile. He quickly chased after her, pushing himself off the car with his foot as his laughter echoed around the air. Dustin shot the girl a look with a raised brow as she rounded the corner of the vehicle, already holding out a pair of gloves and a bucket for her to hold.

She faked a thankful appearance. "Oh, thank you, that's so nice of you. Aren't you just the cutest, nicest, most caring, bravest-"

Dustin smacked her hand that'd snuck around the back of his body to mess up his hair away, trying to fight down his sudden urge to blush. She snickered. "Stop! Don't touch my hair!"

"God, you sound like Steve," Aven smiled before rubbing the younger teen's shoulder comfortingly. "But, seriously, I'm a big fan of yours, Dustin."

His smile grew, almost doubling in size as he looked up at her. "You really think so?"

She scoffed, her brows drawing in as she slowly started to slide her gloves on. "'Course. Anyone who doesn't is clearly lacking up here," she said as she tapped the side of her head. She smiled as the boy ducked his head, trying to hide the brightness of his grin.

Steve rounded the corner. "Did I hear my name?"

"No, you self-centred bastard," Dustin shot before throwing a pair of gloves at the boy's abdomen. Steve caught them with a surprised yelp, shooting the boy a look.

"Hey! You little sh-"

"Stop it, both of you. What are you, toddlers?" Aven said as she stepped between them, either of her hands pressed against either of their chests. She turned to Dustin. "You. Quit calling people bastards." Dustin sighed, holding back the urge to roll his eyes as Steve snickered from Aven's other side.

She whipped around, hand still on his chest. He quickly stopped as his eyes widened, swallowing all that was left of his pride. "And you. Be the bigger person and try not to punch a twelve year-old."

Dustin poked his head out from the side. "Thirteen."

Aven straightened out her lips. "Thirteen year-old," she corrected. "Okay?"

Steve narrowed his eyes at the boy in the back, who'd moved his hands to wag his fingers behind his ears teasingly. Steve clenched his jaw before Aven moved her fingers to rest beneath his chin, directing his sight back to her face.

"Steven."

He blinked. "Fine."

She smiled, taking a step back as she pretended to dust her hands off. "Good. Also-" she turned to look at Dustin, who quickly let his hands fall behind his back as he plastered on an innocent expression. "-I'm not stupid. I'm not gonna help you next time if you keep making it worse for yourself."

Dustin's face fell almost immediately as a smirk grew across Steve's lips. Without even sparing a look back, she rolled her eyes.

"No, that doesn't mean you can punch him, Steve."

"How did you-"

"Come on, no time to lose. Oh, and also, Lucas finally answered. He's meeting us there," Dustin interrupted the pair as he picked up his own bucket. Steve rolled his eyes, letting out a loud sigh as he slipped his hands inside the gloves and reluctantly followed behind the boy with his own bucket. Aven trailed behind the two peacefully, bathing in the silence.