Chapter 20 - Victor Or Soldier?

Start from the beginning

"As if I couldn't take you on", Katniss shot back and the two burst out laughing. They had to be really beat up to behave like that. 

"Hey, guys", I greeted them. If I had sneaked to my bed, the possibility of them attacking me despite their state, would have been too high for my liking. 

"Oh, (f/n)! How do you survive this hellish training? You've been gone even longer than us", Johanna noted. 

"I had more time to adjust", I brushed it off. 

"District 11 is endurable", Katniss recalled. 

"Ouch!", I exclaimed as I had hit my pinkie toe at the edge of the bed. "Why are you two even still sharing a room?", I wondered. 

"Because they don't trust me, but fulfill every wish of the mockingjay", Johanna proclaimed.

"What time is it?" 

"Apparently past curfew as the lights turned off. Eleven pm.?", Katniss assumed. 

I sighed: "I haven't taken a shower yet." 

"Do it tomorrow morning", Johanna grumbled half-asleep. 

"Trust me. You don't want that", I assured her as we usually shared one bed. 

"Can't be worse than in the arena. Come over before I get angry", she threatened me. 

I did not have any energy left anyway. So I obeyed.

Over the next week the situation in our room improved progressively. 

Currently I made my way to the canteen for dinner and was happy to see Katniss, Finnick, Annie and Johanna gathered at one table. Of course I joined them. Johanna smiled at me, when I sat down in front of her, next to Katniss. We listened to Finnick telling a ridiculous story about a turtle, who had carried away his hat. Things almost felt normal. Talking and laughing with friends during dinner without thinking about the cruelties going on on the surface of this country. But this illusion did not remain long as Peeta suddenly appeared behind the empty chair next to Johanna. 

"Peeta! Nice to see you ... and not inside the bed anymore", the girl next to Katniss exclaimed. 

Two guards were standing behind him and he had difficulties balancing the tray due to his chained hands. 

"What kind of fancy bracelets are these?", Johanna joked. 

"You can't trust me yet. I can't even sit here without your approval", he elucidated.  

"Of course he can sit here. After all we are old friends", Johanna announced, while patting the chair beside her. The guards nodded and Peeta sat down. "In the Capitol Peeta and I had adjacent cells. He knows my screams and I know his", Johanna declared.

An uneasy feeling built up inside of me. I knew that it was Johanna's way of coping to bluntly state her thoughts, but I hated it to be reminded of her torture that was killing me already, whenever I had time to think about it. Annie, who was sitting at Johanna's other side, had zoned out earning Johanna a death glare from Finnick.

"What? My psycho doc says that I should freely express my thoughts. That's part of my therapy", she justified herself. 

Silence erupted between us as Finnick tried to soothe Annie. The rest of dinner continued awkwardly and I was glad when it was over. Peeta had said some terrible things about Katniss. 

I once again distracted me with my training, while Johanna had already returned to our room and was probably telling Katniss everything that had happened after the latter had left the canteen. When I returned to our room after my shower and laid down on Johanna's and my bed, the lights turned off. Johanna immediately wrapped her arms around me.