13.

Did i ever mention how much i love Batoulah? If not then i do, a lot!

DUSTE,

JIGAWA STATE,

NIGERIA.

Salma Hamoudi glared at her sister; not bothering to hold back the scoff. "Do you hear yourself?" She scoffed again when Batoulah did not reply, and instead, waited for her to answer her question. "If this is why you're here, leave. You know the way out"

"So you did do something wrong" Batoulah stated. If Salma knew she has nothing to hide, then she would straight up answer her. It has always been like that. Salma has never been one to beat around the bush.

"Watch what you say Batoulah" Salma warned, her voice lower than when she spoke earlier. If there's one thing Salma knew about Batoulah is her stubbornness, she and her other sister both are stubborn. "I don't want to talk about that"

"Do you know he passed out while waiting for you?" Somehow, Batoulah felt it's useless to try and corner Salma using the guilty conscious, but there's no harm in trying.

Salma shrugged, lips puckered slightly. "So? That's on him not me"

"Why won't you just talk to him? Whatever he needs from you must be serious for him to have waited for that long"

For the next couple of seconds, Salma said nothing. She simply stared at her sister with a calculating and scrutinizing gaze. As if something clicked in her, she finally spoke. "Tell me dear sister..." She started, intertwining her fingers, "...why are you so worried about him?" She rose a brow.

Batoulah stared at her in disbelief before she scoffed. "Are you serious right now?" She was being rhetorical.

But of course, Salma answered her. "Dead serious"

"That shouldn't even be a question" Batoulah muttered, and Salm almost didn't get her. But she did.

Salma then hummed. "I guess you really do care"

"Of course I do" Batoulah answered. "I'm worried about anyone who gets involved with you. I know first-hand just how vile you can be"

That irked Salma, as her calm façade dropped and her eyes narrowed. "How dare you say that?"

"What?" Batoulah asked softly. Honestly, she doesn't have the strength to keep arguing with her elder sister like that. "Does it hurt to know how vile you can be?"

"Remember who you're talking to" Salma warned through gritted teeth.

"Are you going to hurt me Salma? Go ahead, I don't think there's much left" Batoulah didn't even blink as she spoke, nor did she look away but rather maintained eye contact.

Salma breathed out deeply, then shook her head. "You should watch your words dearest sister. You have another being to worry about"

"And so do you" Batoulah threw back. She then took in a deep breath, realizing there's no point in bickering with the woman. "He clearly won't leave until you speak to him. So I suggest the earlier you do that, the earlier you'll get your peace back" She didn't wait for a response as she turned around and walked out.

Salma's shoulder slumped once the girl was out. She slumped on the chair, eyes flickering close as she took calming breaths in and out. She then gulped, sitting up and pushing her chair forward a little.

Picking up her bag, she shrugged off her doctor's coat and placed it on the hanger. Without wasting a second, she picked up her bag and headed out, locking the door shut on the way out. She wasn't done with her shift, and she would probably get in trouble for leaving so early but she would make something up.