38: Ice Ice Baby

[POV - Ukraine]

A sharp pain on my face left me concious, my back was frozen and stiff, my fingers were numb, and I felt bare all along my chest, but everything I felt was overshadowed when my mouth became a fountain and I began choking on spit. An alarming amount of spit that I soon realized was water, it came gushing out and quickly fell back down on my face.
"Heyyy," the word's ending was elongated with a nervous and rushed tone, "Ukie wake up, this isn't funny anymore," my head shook as a force pushed me awake.

I launched my head off the ground only to bonk it on another and fall back down, the matching ow's let out scared my soul straight out of its body, so I began thrashing and kicked an immovable object.
"Oh my god, you're alive!" The water rushed out of my ears and I was able to make out full sentences now, instead of an injured cry I heard relief, "or wait... no yeah, you're alive!" The air that just entered my lungs was forcefully expelled after a being, hauntingly huge and wet from first touch, wrapped it's limbs around me and they stayed there until I could practically hear myself hyperventilating on the concrete.

Soon the being took notice, making its way away from me and after the third or fourth apology I understood who kneeled, soaking wet, in front of me.
I kept coughing up less and less water while rubbing my aching legs, they were at the forefront of what I could feel. Why are they hurting this much? Did I land wrong? Where are we? How did we get to shore? Why are my lips waxy?

As my ears unclogged themselves further I heard wailing, leading me to a water-soaked baby. Resilient child. Whatever is keeping it alive might wear off soon, if we hurry the hyperthermia wont set in, but I might need to calm the Canadian down first before touching the infant.
Or is it the other way around? I'm not that attached to the kid anyways.

Nada's chest rose and fell like the tide, it hurt my ribs just focusing on it. This made me notice how open my chest feels, the unnatural feeling of having nothing on or supporting you. My binder's off!
Suffocating's not a priority when I can see practically my whole chest exposed.
I spoke up, but it sounded like a cat drowning in fondue, when the other took notice he turned away in embarrassment, "I-I wasn't looking! Yeah, it was, like, glued to your chest and you couldn't breathe and I panicked, sorry," I know wet binders are nightmares to take off, so I understand why he would have to rip it off, but I feel like a fucking fish with legs.

I covered myself the best I could, the cold biting my skin stopped tingling, I wasn't comfortable but I wasn't cold — it's usually the opposite.
I looked around, seeing the sky was made of wooden boards, we were under a dock with the frozen and barren river beside us. If Canada managed to drag me, the bags and a baby here... he deserves an award or something. I'll cook him a whole meal when we get home and maybe a drink or something. The Canadian he perked up to his feet with a shiver only to start pacing back and forth, it's like he didn't hear the baby crying either. Let's ignore it just a little longer.
"So, let me get this straight, you can't drive for shit, but can fly a helicopter?" It wasn't the first question I imagined he would ask, but it's nice to know where his heads at. Canada shook his limbs of whatever water he had left and stood perfectly, robotically, looking down at our... bags.

"I was able to save two of the duffel bags, sorry,"
I felt like disintegrating right then and there. I went threw all this shit for two duffel bags and what? Three dead bodies? Probably new dust allergies? Oh, and a new baby, how could I forget a literal mini human who's just tagging along? I exhaled most of my bitterness—keeping enough for later situations—and held myself together, nodding and reassuring the Canadian that it was enough money to satisfy me.

He nodded with the same uncertainty I kept terribly hidden, with stiffness in my bones, my jaw managed to recite a few sayings I've heard worked on people under distress, it wasn't able to change the expression painted in his eyes but he stood still finally.
We mentioned the cold once to one another, we both felt nothing, frostbite wouldn't affect us until it hit scarily low, crystallizing our spit low. But you know who it would affect? A one year old.