32.

Chapter 32

Zac

"So..what happened, man? Your plane was found."

"Yea. The engine failed."

"What?"

"Yea. We were supposed to go east from Washington but ended up going west. We were going down in seconds and since it was too late when the pilot realised, it was also too late to do anything but thankfully, we had parachutes."

"Then what happened?"

"We landed in West Virginia. One of the flight attendant had a bruised arm but the locals there took care of us. They were quite hospitable."

"So why didn't you call?"

"Oh..to my surprise, most people who live near the border Virgina and west Virginia don't have cell phones and wifi access."

"What? Really?"

"Yea. They also had network issues there because of the rain that fell last week so the few phones they had weren't working and as for my mine..well... let's just say has blown to pieces now." I replied with a smug smile.

"Then how did you get back to New York?"

"Well... there was one guy amongst the locals, a farmer that had an airplane. He agreed to fly us in."

"How does a local keep a plane in such an area?"

"I..have no idea." He shrugged.

"I'm just glad you're ok." Claire says, and I smiled. After we all had dinner, we said our goodbyes to Nichole and Xander. When we got to the room, Claire hugged me again, bringing a grin to my face but to my surprise, I heard her sobbing again. Pulling away, I helped her sit on the bed and she held me closer to her. 

"Hey, why are you still crying? I'm here." 

"I know..it's just...I was scared, Zac.I was so scared." She says, holding my face in my hands. "I just..I thought you weren't coming back. " She hugs me again. 

"I know. I know, babe but I'm back just like I said I would." I replied and she pulled away, giving me an unimpressed look. 

"What if you didn't? I wouldn't have -"

"Look at me. Look at me,Claire. I'm here now. I  am not going anywhere. Ok?" I held her face. "I promise..you are not getting rid of me that easily." I muttered and she chuckled lightly, causing me to feel a little tug in my heart.

"I'm sorry for the way I acted this morning. There was just so much going and I.."

"Shh..I understand that you are stressed and you didn't mean to behave that way. I'm really glad to have you back and I..." She assured with a smile. 

"I love you, Claire." I admitted with a grin, beating her to it.

She smiled heartily. "I love you too, Zac." She replied, shutting her eyes for a split second and then opens it. "So much." She adds, and we kissed.

When we pulled away, she laid down on the bed, and I placed the blanket over her. 

  "Now sleep, please? We will talk tomorrow." I implored and she closed her eyes. I kissed her cheeks and tried to let go of her hand but she held on to my hand tightly..so I sat down and kept patting her hand.

With time, her heavy breathing slowed down and when I was sure she was fast asleep, I slowly let go of her hand and stood. I turned off the bedside lamp before leaving the room and shutting the door behind me.

Next day

"So..how is Claire doing?"

"So much better."

"Oh that's good. She was crying so hard I was afraid she was gonna be sick."

"Yea.." I trailed off.

"So...what was the important thing you just had to get to..."

"Err..you know.. personal stuff."

"Personal stuff uhmm?" He replies nodding continuously.

"Yea."

"Let me guess..personal stuff that involves Antonio Fernandes."

Oh shit!

"How did you find out?"

Well..when you went missing, I had to do something..So I checked your office for clues to know what you were up to...and there it was...all your transaction files." He said, tapping his hand against the said file on the table.

"Err..I'm sorry, man. I was going to tell you but I just wanted to..you know..."

"Handle it yourself?" He completed it.

"Yea." He sighs.

"Why would you seek his help in the first instance? You know happened between him and your dad that.."

"Yea.. yea. I know but I just..really wanted to bring something to the table. You've been getting sponsors on your contact for the project awhile and I couldn't even get us one sponsor on my part..so when Tonio offered, I just thought it wasn't going to be so bad."

He just sighed. "We are business partners, Zac I expect you to tell me if you are planning to take a big risk on something that involves our professional relationship."

"I know man. I messed up big time. That's why I went to DC but he wouldn't sell it back to me."

"Hmm.."

"Yea. I even got word that someone else bought the shares from him today."

"I know." He replies. "I did." He adds after sometime, making me look up at him.

"What?"

"Yes, I did."

"How? That's the reason I went to DC and he wouldn't even let me buy him out of it."

"Let's just say I have something on him that he just won't like to have in the press and also, I kinda made him a deal he really couldn't refuse."

"Well..I don't know what that means but thanks for saving my ass from getting kicked out of the project." I said and he nods.

"So you now have like 77%?"

"Totally."

"I always knew you were eyeing my share." I made a joke and he chuckled, shaking his head at me.

"Well...knowing you, it shouldn't long before you land something big again." 

"Damn right." I agreed. Straightening up, I added,  "I appreciate you, man."

"I got you, man. " We shook hands and he smiled lightly at me then we pulled our hands away. I then started feeling foolish for ever thinking otherwise of him. Ofcourse, he's got my back. He's done so for more than two decades. I guess..I just kinda lost track of that.

He said, "Office hours are almost over." Looking at my watch, I affirmed the same.

"So..you got plans for the rest of the evening?"

"Nah...not really."

"Good..let's get a drink."

"Xan.."

"Not taking no for an answer. We need it." He said firmly and I laughed, then agreed. Grabbing my jacket and phones, Xander led us out of the room and I shut the door behind me.