11.

Chapter 11

Claire

Once I opened the door, Ryan jumped in my arms, causing me to laugh.

"Someone's in a great mood." I teased, and I felt him smile against my ear. "How was school today?" I asked, still holding him in my arms.

Pulling away, he replied, "It was fine, mummy. Daddy took me to the cinema afterwards. I wish you came. We missed you."

"I missed you too." I cooed, and just then, Zac walked in.

"Hey." I greeted, as Ryan runs up the stairs.

"Nichole's gone into labour." He says quickly

"What? When?"

"About half an hour ago. I just got off the phone with Xander and they have just arrived at the hospital."

"But she's two weeks early." I was excited and worried at the same time.

"I know. We should probably go now.  Nichole is gonna need you there."

"Yes... that goes without question but Ryan and Jayceon? Where is Jayceon?"

"Jayceon is on his way here with their driver. He'll stay with Ryan and Youv till we are back. "

"Ok." I nodded, then walked closely behind him.

*********

Zac

Xander was really worried about Nichole and although I was present, there was no little or nothing I could do to aid his uneasiness so I tapped him briefly on the back.  "She'll be absolutely fine." And when he looked up at me, I saw something different. Something really unusual. Fear.

"Hmm." Xander was scared and even though he tried to hide it with a fake smile... I think I know my friend of over twenty years by now. I wonder why... I mean, I know he loves Nichole and all but it's not like this is their first child...and I have heard that labour isn't that terrible after the first child birth. I  know my best friend better than anyone to understand that there is something else at play here. "Hey." I beckoned and he looked at me. "You're good?"

"Yea." He gave a forced smile and looked away again. I hope Nichole's alright.

Xander     

I was beyond nervous. Although I was so happy to welcome our babies, I know deep in my heart that Nichole's health is the most important. I just want her to be alright. After hours or atleast that's how it felt like, the doctor finally came out of the operating theatre. I instantly went to him. "Doctor,how is my wife?"

" Mr Reynolds, your wife and the twins are in great health condition."

"I have twins, Zac." I said, facing my best friend excitedly.

"Yes,buddy. You did it." He gave me a proud smile, causing me to laugh. Hugging my best friend again, I closed my eyes tightly, sighing and letting the tears roll down my eyes. As I put my one hand around Zac, I wiped the tear that finally rolled down my eyes with the other.

I pulled away after sometime and faced the doctor again.  "Doctor, Nichole. Is she...?" 

He nods in understanding of what I meant. "I assure you, Mr Reynolds. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. There are no complications whatsoever. Your wife is ever resilient." I hugged him too and muttered my thanks.

"And the babies?"

"The series of test we took shows there is nothing to worry about on their part either." He assured again and I nodded, smiling.
I was so relieved.