22.

Chapter 22

Claire

"I just...I hate her."Nichole said, as she placed her head on my shoulder. She had only stopped crying.

"Shh..you know you don't..it's just the hurt you feel that is making you say this. " I replied, stroking her hair. She soon pulls away to face me.

"But why? Why after so many years? Why did she have to return like this? Why didn't she come back earlier? She's such a coward. Why did she leave for so long and never bother to show her face? And now she's back just to rub it on my face that she now has a new husband and son"

"That's not the truth, Nicky. That's not what really happened."

"What do you mean that's not what happened? Why are you trying to defend her? You do not know what happened to her... " She soon stopped when she noticed the look on my face.

"Oh my god, did you...?" She asked, standing up.

"Yes..I did." I admitted. "I met her a few months ago and we spoke and.."

"And you didn't tell me? How could you?"

"Nichole, I."

"What else have you not told me?"

"Nic."

"Why do you keep hiding stuff from me? I thought we were best friends."

"We are."

"Then why...what else do you know?"

"Nichole..."

"Just say it."

I then proceeded to explain everything to her.".....................And that was how she met his dad."

"I want you to leave."

"Nichole, I wanted to tell you but she made me promise and I.."

"Just go. I want to be left alone."

Understanding her reasons, I said my goodbyes and left the room.

Zac

"What's going on, mum? Why am I the last to know about all of this? Xander just..."

"Please just sit. I'll tell you everything." Nodding, I sat down beside her and she held her hands in mine before proceeding to tell me everything.

___

"I bet she'll never forgive me. I'm such a terrible mother."

"No, mum. You are an amazing woman and I'm sure Nichole is gonna understand that. She is the most kind hearted and understanding person I know."

"Zac is right, Anna. She doesn't hate you. She just really needs time. All this is just too much for her to process at once. Meeting you after so long and knowing about.. Zac and his father. It's just so much right now but I'm sure she'll come around." Xander assures. We were having a video call to inquire about Nichole.

"Thanks, Xee. How's she now?"

"She's alright. Just upset but nothing I can't handle." He winked playfully and I smiled. After talking to mum for a little while longer, he ended the call.

Mum finally explained everything to me and to say I was surprised would be an understatement, however, as unusual as it sounds, I'm actually happy about the turnout of events. I am happy that Nichole actually turned out to be my step sister.

I mean, I have always thought of her as one anyway. I've always treated her like a younger sister and good friend. Whenever I look at her, I am always reminded of Kimberly and how she shared my ideals ...just that Kimberly was the silent type and Nichole is more like me. Super playful and talkative. She's been so nice and supportive of me over the years. We've connected so much and I really adore her.

Even at the time when mum was ill and I was over at dad's, she sent some gifts to mum. They wanted to come visiting, but Nichole was pregnant with Jayceon at the time and the doctor strongly advised against travelling at the time. After mum recovered, she really wanted to speak to Xander's Nichole but somehow, all of that didn't actually happen till now.

It's crazy how she usually cared so much about my mother's health..not knowing who she really was. I can only imagine what must be going on in her mind right now. That her mother whom she had missed for significant years of her life had moved on to have a family of her own which didn't include her. The thought of me now prolly only reminds her of the fact that her mother has been doing all that she owed to her to me instead. I wished I knew about this earlier though I don't blame mum.

She had her reasons for staying away and all that happened wasn't in her control either.