Chapter 26: special someone

Start from the beginning

Then, he heard somebody crying and Jimin went alarmed. "Is Jikook crying?"

"Yeah, he is, he woke up after falling asleep on the couch because he enjoyed using the materials you've bought him."

"I'm glad," Jimin smiled, the idea that his son loved what he had bought made his fatherly instinct gratified with pride.

"I have to go, Jimin. Take care, always. Call me when you're not busy, I'll try to make Jikook awake until you call next time."

"Take care too, love. I miss you both so damn much. I love you."

The call had ended and Jungkook rushed to Jikook.  The boy was sitting on the couch, hunched over while his hands hid his face as he cried himself out. Jikook had a few episodes like these before, it was either that he woke up with discomfort or he had a really bad dream. He quickly sat down beside his son and pulled him to his lap.

"Appa!" He cried louder, burying his face against Jungkook's chest and clung to him on his neck. He cried harder as he wiggled his head and balled the cloth of Jungkook's clothing in his tiny fists.

"What's wrong, baby?" Jungkook pulled his son out from burying his head on his chest and cupped his baby boy's face, the chubby cheeks were soft against his fingertips but the eyes and lips were too strikingly familiar too ignore. Damn, his son was really a carbon copy of Jimin.

"Appa..." He trailed off trying to catching his breath from his hiccups, a repercussion of crying too hard. Jungkook smoothed his hand against the small back of his son as he shushed him from crying. "Jimin-hyung's gone, appa!"

"Huh?" Jungkook was dumbfounded. "Baby..." He tried to be calm, after being a single father for years, Jungkook had learned to hold his tears back. Jungkook learned to hide his weaknesses and had his courage as his upfront because, as a parent, you have to learn how to be strong for both you and your child. If he crumbles and Jikook sees him, then what would his baby boy think? He had to set off an example, he had to be someone who his child can depend upon on, who his child can learn from someday and the fact that he doesn't his child feeling or looking sad topped it all. So Jungkook learned to be a tough nut to crack if that means pretending someone he isn't, for the sake of his own child.

"Jimin-hyung will come back soon, you know that he has to work so he can earn money, right? Just like how appa needs to go to the café everyday so I could buy you food and clothes. Plus,  Jimin-hyung said he'll give you something when he gets back so don't cry," Jungkook wiped the tears on his son's eyes.

"No, appa!" Jikook denied strongly, "I saw Jimin-hyung, he's leaving and he promised me that he'll be back too. He promised me so I waited and waited, but hyung never came back at all!"

This conversation was scaring Jungkook. It was scaring him to his wits, because this was too personal, too vivid.  This conversation leading to the horrifying ideas that scarred his mind, Jikook was reacting so strongly, so emotional at Jimin's loss. And the fact that Jimin leaving him in his dreams affected him so much made him think about how would his son be if his dreams turned into reality? How would Jikook be if he finds out Jimin his other father and there comes a time that Jimin leaves them? Not just Jungkook anymore, him and Jikook.

It horrified him that he had sweated bullets underneath his clothes. His heart and mind were too scarred, too damaged. With shaking hands, he embraced his son, not knowing what to say, he hugged him tight, saying the words he used to tell himself behind the door where Jimin had walked out from.

"He'll be back," Jungkook whispered, the tears had found their way out of his eyes without him knowing until they were finally free, "he'll be back." I hope.