Worst shot in Neverland

(Y/n) P.O.V.

I had had about enough of searches. Always walking around and finding nothing. It wasn't fun in general, even worse when one was covered in mud and still dressed in wet clothes.
"Why did he have to put him in fang?" I bit out.
"We'll get him out of there," James said. I scoffed, "How? I don't even know how to properly hold a dagger." At that he turned around, "You've never learned to fight?" I slowly shook my head.
"Never? Not with Peter, not with Henry?"
I shook my head again.
"You do know how to kill someone don't you?"
"Yeah, I know that there has to be a no-beating heart," I answered.
"I meant in methods, have you ever killed something or someone?"
Now that I thought of it, I had never ended something or someone's life, "Oh! Yeah that one Indian who tried to...yeah I made him trip and he broke something."
"Well that's one, do you know how to shoot?" He asked. I didn't answer, he chuckled.
"Hey don't laugh at me, we'll see who'll be lost once we're back in the Other Place," I retorted.

"I'm not mocking you, maybe we should train a bit. The sun is setting anyway, we have to make shelter."
I looked up at the sky and noticed the night blue blanket slowly stretching across the sky. We had reached Left-Arm Creek and made camp there, if we made any noise it would be covered by the sound of the rushing creek.
We caught a couple of fish from the creek and cooked them on a tiny fire, it was only when I planted my teeth in the soft fish meat that I realised when I had eaten for the last time. And I wondered how it was possible to go so long without eating.
"Right, which do you want to try first pistol or sword?" He asked when we were done eating.
"Maybe gun?" I said. He pulled out his black coloured flintlock out. The hilt was a leathery touch, the weapon small of weight.
"Alright what you'll want to do is your revolver and then aim for something and then you shoot," James explained. It was already dark but that didn't keep me from seeing everything around me.

I cocked the pistol, aimed at a tree nearby and pulled the trigger. I shot on the trunk.
"Well done! Now try something smaller, that way you'll perfect your aim," James explained.
I tried again, cocked the pistol and aimed at a branch.
Pow!
I missed, I heard how James muffled a chuckle. I turned around and narrowed my eyes, "Sure you were a perfect shot your first time."
"Of course I was, I've got it in my blood," he teased.
"Oh right I forgot, the whole wonderboy thing." He eyed me confused, "What do you mean?"
"You must be blessed by some kind of miracle, you survived a 120 feet fall without hitting a rock, you won a fight with a huge crocodile and that's without all the separate fights you and Peter had," I said. He gave it a thought, "Perhaps it's part of the curse Peter placed on me?"
It would make sense, not allowing James to die, in order to pester him longer.

"Try again," he said after a while to break my train of thoughts. I closed one eye and aimed at the same branch again, Steady...and FIRE! I shot the second time, the branch snapped with the echo of the shot still in my ears.
"Nice one!" James cheered. I blinked and lowered the pistol, the sky had turned a dark blue, the first stars appearing. "Maybe we should...make shelter," I mumbled. A chill went down my spine and I rubbed my arms warm, that's when I noticed I was still covered in mud.
"I'm just going to wash off that mud, I'll be back in a bit," I said quickly.
The Creek wasn't far away, you could hear the water rushing from where we had made camp. I thought of Jo, hoping she was with Wendy. That's what I had understood...I think. I knelt by the water and cupped it in my hands, splashing it over my face. I really wish there was an easy way to communicate with Jo right now, these are the moments you wish you had a cell phone with signal. I went back to the shelter and saw James waiting with the pistol in his hand, holding it out for me.

"Try once more," he said softly, "Shoot the bird nest up there," he pointed at a small brown twig bun on a branch high up in the tree.
"What if there are babies in there?" I asked.
"It's not spring, it should be fine," he said. I took the pistol back and did as we had practiced before, I concentrated and aimed for the branch under that. I fired and missed.
"Try again." I did, I aimed again and shot again, missing again.
"What's the matter? You did well earlier," he mumbled.
"Probably my motherly instincs, I'm afraid I might kill a baby bird," I said.
He chuckled, "Humans don't have instincs." I rolled my eyes, "It's too far away, I can't shoot that far yet."

"It's alright, it'll come after a few more trainings," he said. I nodded and lowered the gun. I looked back at him and saw that he tried to fight the urge to laugh.
"Go on," I sighed.
"I'm so sorry, but that shot wasn't even near the nest," he chuckled.
"They don't teach shooting in the Other Place, not unless you're allowed to have a gun," I said.
"Hey it's alright, you'll get it eventually," he sighed.
I nodded, smiling slightly, "Maybe we should try to have some sleep," I murmured. James nodded, "I'll have the first watch."