Chapter 24

"I mean I just don't get it," she watches me through the corner of her eye, her arms resting on her legs as she is sat down, "I asked you to your face, you knew that I was looking for you and you just... why?"

"I don't have an excuse for you."

"But you can at least tell me what was going through your head right?" then with a sigh patting her knees, "Or has it been that long that you don't even see me as anything from back then."

I stop her, "It would never come down to it."

"Then what?"

"Damnit, Vi," I furrow my brow at her, "I mourned each and every one of you. Do you know how long it took me to come to terms with that? God knows that I am happy that you are alive but it doesn't just erase all that pain."

She then nods, "I get it. My fault for getting locked up."

"You should have listened to me," I state, then pull my gaze from her as I shake my head, "God I wish I could have stood up to you back then, hit the sense into you but-" I tighten my fists as I clench my teeth.

"We both know I would have put you on your ass."

"As if I would ever fight you," then shake my head, "But things change, right?"

"Saying I am going to do something stupid?" she asks with an arched brow.

"I'd count on it, then again the problem is I am going to be somehow caught in the middle."

She chuckles, "At least you won't be staying behind this time," then letting her smile disappear, "What happened to you, (Y/N)? Why the secracy? The mask... hell how did you even survive for this long?"

"By fighting-" 

"Hard to imagine coming from you, but we all need to fight eventually."

A short nod, "I went that night searching for you guys. By the time I got there... there was nothing but rubble, smoke, and fire. They caught me and... hurt me," holding onto my covered metal arm, "But you all disappeared, dead. Each and every one of you, I survived because Xani helped me back to my feet."

Then looking around, "Created the Revenants. Something like this place but we aren't around for saving people, to fight back."

"And?"

"As you said, our pathetic little group is practically useless," I run my hand through my hair, "But just like then, still powerless... guess some things never changed."

A silence hangs in the air for a moment, yeah... that is all I have really. Pitying myself where I should be ecstatic. Putting myself down where I should be celebrating the fact that not everyone died that night.

This is a victory, but I still feel so empty. 

"As for why... it was all about staying safe, remember?" then with a frustrated chuckle, "(Y/N) should stick to what he knows best, running and hiding. Keeping out of trouble because I was almost a bigger detriment than anyone else."

"I didn't want anybody to see me like this, I wear this mask because I can pretend that I died a long time ago. To get revenge on the bastards that killed all of you, to kill Silco," then stating with a whimper, "Should have died," I wish I did sometimes.

The shaking my head, fixing my composure, "It was hard on a lot of us," then looking back towards Ekko who was standing in the distance, Caitlyn not far from him, "Even ended up losing friends along the way."

"You and Ekko?"

I nod, "Hates me, probably."

"He'd never," she states, "If I know him-"

"But do you?" I stop her, "The key phrase here is that, 'everybody and everything changed'."

"I don't blame you for thinking that," then bringing her hands together, interlocking her fingers, "Though think of it from his perspective, mine if you will. It hurts when you see things change, see people become someone that is fine with just throwing away everything they are all in the hopes to just get themselves killed."

Then in the silence, I only nod. She lifts herself stepping closer to me. Resting her hand on my shoulder giving it a tight squeeze I drop my gaze to the floor, watching my hands dangle between my legs before I clench my fists tightly.

"I missed you, not a day went past without thinking and missing each and every one of you," then shaking my shoulder, "I will give one thing to you music man, I am proud of you this is the last thing I expected you to become."

"Proud because I am a killer?" I chuckle out of frustration.

"Proud because you lasted this long on your own, I am willing to bet my life on it that Rud ran out on you when it mattered the most."

I only nod, I don't have the heart to talk about it with a straight face, every single thought and memory just... it gives me chills. Vivid memories plague my thoughts making me want to scream.

They haunt me to this day.

Then with a sigh, "At least I learned how to punch, not from you though."

"Making it sound like my punches don't hit hard at all, could always knock your teeth into place... you know... for not telling me about anything."

"On the list of bad decisions, Vi," I look up at her with a smirk, "I wouldn't exactly play that game with me."

"Go on," the corner of her mouth arches upward, "At this rate, you might just slip into my fist."

"Funny," I shake my head, "For what it is worth, it really is good to know that you are still alive."

"Just stay alive," she returns with a chuckle.

"Yeah... been really good at that," like I always been, though you should worry more about Powder than me, shouldn't you, Vi? I wish you coming back changed anything, I still plan on killing her.

Nothing you do will stop me.