Chapter 8

"They took it all - our world will fall. Hide your face for we will wait.
We come for them - we will not stop, prepare your hearts as you take their lives.

We are lost and our homes in ruin. Look at the sky for one day soon

We'll take all that they stole, raise our fists, the dead will come to reap what you sow..."

I sigh as I grab my wrist, my grip tightens as I grind my teeth, "They took it all..."

"Working on your singing voice there, boss?" I glance up at a woman pulling her hood down from her cloak, wearing mostly leather gear that is hard to come by in this hell hole.

"Cal," I then shake my head, "Remembering the lost."

"Never really talked about... well... you."

I shake my head as I roll up my right sleeve, I reach for a screwdriver as I screw in a bolt that got loose in my shoulder. Then dropping it back onto the table I try to move my fingers as the movements feel somewhat better - a sudden pain spreads from where my arm used to be as I slam my hand against the table.

Shattering the wood.

Then looking at her with a pained expression, "I can't bring myself to do that much," then lifting myself to my feet, "Have we found them? Or any of them?"

She then shakes her head, "Had some problem with The Firelights, we got out without killing each other but Silco's thugs have been rubbing us the wrong way. Then there is the question of the man you are searching for..."

"Anything?" I ask almost hopeful

"No."

"He was always good at running away," I glare at my arm, "I will be heading out soon, make sure we clear out from that other sector to not step on anyone's toes and bring everyone back to the main compound."

I step forward, she stops me with her arm, "You should rest."

"When I am dead-"

"We are all dead men and women. So please," she gives me a worried look, "I haven't seen you this worked up in a long time, what happened?"

"Nightmares of the past," I sigh, "God... I miss them," then with a sigh, I feel my eyes well as I wipe the tears away with my sleeve.

Her hand reaches for mine, I glance at it only to push past her. Leaving her behind me I stop in place for a moment, "Don't try to find something inside me, Cal. There's nothing left to love, they took everything from me," I clench my metal hand.

"You need someone to confide in. Whether it means loving or a friend-"

"It would be a waste," I continue walking, "The Revenants, we are the ghosts of the past, we come with a promise. A bleeding hatred to take back what is lost, I will take their lives in exchange for mine."

And may I be wicked and as evil as they were to us. No heroes. No villains. Just so much hate and it is all too easy to pin it on them.

Stepping out of my room, I reach a balcony with stairs leading all the way to the bottom, pathways with people hanging around. Members taking care of their families in our little community that we created. 

All these people, we Revenants have one thing in common. Dead men walking. 

Walking down the steps I am met with Rael, "Yo, it seems to be quiet back in the new district. We don't really have that much space so-"

I nod, "then move it to the second, and if that is full go to the third, we only have so many hideouts so we can't keep them at full capacity... if we need to run then we know where to run. If we need to rest then we can. If we need to beat someone's teeth in with a wrench then we get to do so out of sight."

He nods, "They have been smuggling shimmer again."

I nod, "Near us?" he nods, "Then we kick up the hornet's nest. I need to visit someone again, grab everyone you can know about the area so that we don't leave anyone behind. Leave the rookies out of this one... don't want to lead them to the slaughter."

"Sir-"

"Yeah?"

He then clears his throat, "Maybe take some time off? Cal and I can handle it."

"You too, huh?"

He chuckles, "You have been doing everything, let the rest of us do some of the work for a change. Take the day to work on yourself and your posture - maybe go and see a girl and let off some of that steam."

Looking at him with a straight face, "If you fuck up this job, it will be on your head."

"Not a fan of jokes then," he then shoos me away, "Go and get going. See you in a few hours."

Progress day is just a week out, and it feels like we made none. I made none. I have a debt to pay, a man that I would once call father killed a kid... cutting off the only thing tying him to his parents.

Stay safe... just stay safe... keep staying safe. Everyone is fucking dead, Mylo, Claggor, Vi... god Vi... even Powder she is dead. Jinx is just something that came from the ashes of that job, my penance, my own fault.

If I were there none of them would have been dead, or at least I would have been with them, where I want to be. 

I will join them soon, I just need to drag someone to hell cause it is wide open with a special place just for that bastard. I will find you, Rud. 

The Devil is waiting.