Chapter 6

The place is awfully quiet. Murmurs travel through the air as they all wait for Vander to say... something... anything. I could tell that even Vi was dying to hear what he has to say, she wants so desperately to do something about them but it will just end up like then.

I... I know I can't do anything for her, I just hope Vander will stop her.

"You sure that is what you want? We crossed that bridge once before, and we all know how that ended."

One then speaks up, "You are just protecting your kids."

He looks back at us, then speaks again, "I'm protecting our people, I'd do the same for any one of you. We look out for each other. It's the way it's always been. This will blow over, we just need to stand together."

A woman then speaks, "The Vander I knew, the one who built the underground, wouldn't be afraid to fight." 

He then walks up to her, staring her dead in the eye, "Do I look afraid?"

"No," then countering with a scowl, "You look weak."

Then with a whistle, spinning around as she and her people leave this place.

"Why isn't he doing anything?" I glance back at them standing in the doorway, Claggor wearing a confused expression.

Powder then says, "We kicked the enforcers' butts with just the five of us. Imagine what the whole of the lanes could do."

"Technically speaking we ran away," I state.

Mylo then remarks, "What is with you and not doing anything, come on, even Powder wants to fight."

Vi then lifts her hands, "Then why aren't we?" she instantly realizes Ekko's expression, then arching her brow at him as she waits for him to spill the information, "Spill it, Ekko."

"Uh, oh. Ok. Vander... has got a deal with the enforcers..." he says carefully as Vi gives him a look of disbelief.

"What deal?"

***   ***   ***

"Not going to stick around?" Vi stops me on the way to leave.

I shake my head, "Can't. Got to make sure I stay at least a little bit safe, you know? Besides with everything going on, if they just as much see me with any of you I'd probably be dead."

"It isn't much safer out there."

"Yeah," then with pursed lips turn away from her, "More like I got to get my head on straight, besides - knowing me I always have something to say and lately been finding it hard to keep my opinions to myself. Don't want to step on your toes."

"I don't mind it nearly as much as you going out there with them roaming the streets."

"I will be safe and fast, come tomorrow and you will see me again," I offer a smile, "Though I hope you guys are still around, I wouldn't forgive you if you went and got yourself killed chasing after them."

She shakes her head, "Know me that well?"

I let my smile fade, "Vi. Listen it needs to stop somewhere, I won't try anymore but I just need you to know that at some point a line must be drawn to make sure we don't cross it any further than we already have."

"But I can ask the same for you," she then shakes her head, crossing her arms over her chest, "I think you should stop being so terrified. Scared of the unknown. I don't like that look on you."

"I've had it since the start."

"I hated seeing you like that, if I could punch it out of you I would have but then we wouldn't be here talking," then with a sigh, "I just... don't get me wrong, (Y/N). You can't stay so passive when the world we are reduced to is crumbling when there isn't much to go off of."

I shake my head with a chuckle, "Why talk about it when you can just beat the sense back into me? Right?" she joins in on my laughter as I sigh, "I wish I could beat it into you, but I knew I would come in last."

"As if you even know how to throw a punch."

"I tend to use the guitar as a weapon."

"Planning on serenading them to death?"

"The screeching sound might just do that," I chuckle, "Though that is your observation, I am not all that bad as you make me out to be, probably just because you insist on making fun of me."

"Something like that," she then glances up at the sky, "Honestly, a lot better than you were a couple of years ago."

"I would hope so," I then turn my head towards the alleyway, "So as far as compliments go, that one was pretty shitty."

"Then another time?"

I only lift my shoulders. I smile but then let it disappear for a moment, for two people that are so close we can't possibly be further apart. Our ideals and plans differ so vastly despite that we both have the same dreams.

Though which one of us is just playing make-believe? I sometimes feel I am the one just spinning around in circles trying to trick myself that there is nothing better to do other than run away... cause that is what I am good at.

Surviving. Which in this case, is running away and hiding.

The silence goes on for a little bit longer like we had something to say but neither of us could come to it. I end it there as I turn to leave.

"Don't stay out too long, I heard the enforcers are looking for you."

"Make sure you are safe. Goodbye."

I nod, "See you."