Chapter 15

The sounds of my boots hitting both metal and water echo through this sewage canal. This place looks barren and empty... if I didn't know any better searching here would have just been a complete waste of time.

But that is just how it is - searching for ghosts of the past can be quite tricky especially when your relationship with them is so close to a knife to the throat and so far away from what you would consider a friendly reunion amongst once upon a time friends.

Shooting my gaze to every corner, watching them all hoping to see something or anything. A person that would try to kill me just for getting too close... I would accept that just as much. I finally reach the furthest point which was a dead end.

Yet... there is supposed to be a chamber at the end of this.

I slam my fist against a chunk of metal, waiting for a response I hit on it a couple more times before giving up.

"Guess I did waste my time," I stated, glancing over my back because I am almost a hundred percent sure this is where they are.

Turning my face back to my front, there stood a masked individual with his hands dug into his pocket. Then from behind me the wall I knocked on slowly open up, I keep my eyes locked onto him and my hands at my side.

"You did waste your time coming here," the deep voice behind the individual stepped forward, "Our 'alliance' with the Revenants are superficial, just like your goals."

"And I came all this way just to speak to you."

"Turn back," he says, "I have nothing left to say to you-"

"Ekko-"

"Nothing! You walked out on me, on everybody that... what did you do when I came to you? You pushed and shoved, why shouldn't I do the same and help show you the way out?" despite the mask I could imagine the look on his face, I imagine the same expression he'd wear if he would ever meet Jinx.

"Cal mentioned running into your people, I'd hope to make sure nothing did indeed happen. It wouldn't be the first time my people lied to my face."

"Now isn't that ironic?" he then steps past me, gesturing with his hand to step in, "We can talk, then you have to leave."

Smiling to myself behind the mask, I follow him inside to see a massive tree in the middle of this dome. With houses scattered around the edges, both high and low, it puts all our hideouts to shame but then again... we placed ours there because it is much easier to reach.

We don't have hoverboards.

"How goes with you dealing with the top-side? Saw some enforcers on your doorstep."

"You may question my motives, but from where I am standing the people more likely to kill us quicker than the enforcers are the people walking the same streets as us," then looking at him, "Spying on us now?"

Dropping down in a chair, he gestures with his head as a taller masked fellow leaves his side. Pulling off both his mask and his hood, he rests his arms on his legs as he watches me with a side-eyed glare.

"Have to make sure you don't turn into another Silco or end up killing everyone down here because you were in way over your head."

Despite his accusations and discontent with me being here, it felt good to see a face that I knew from back then. But I would never tell him that in all actuality I missed him. Then again, everything I do is just another excuse backed up with another one.

Till I drive that final nail into the coffin. Some things are just hard to let go of, and it is time that I let my past fully behind me.

Ignoring his accusation, "Did anybody get hurt?"

He narrows his gaze, "None. Your 'Revenants' have been quite welcoming after the last fight," he then shakes his head glancing away at me, "Awfully strange for you to come all the way just to kiss our asses with an apology? Or is just guilt?"

I lift my shoulders, "We take what allies we can."

"But that's just the thing," he shoots his glare back at me, "When we, no... I needed you. What did you do? Or do just not remember?"

"How can you blame me?"

"I lost just as many people like you, we both saw Powder turn into that thing she is now."

I raise my voice, "You weren't there! You didn't get strapped to the table and watch how the person that was supposed to be your father gut me like a fucking fish! At least they only died, you blame me for what I did but did you ever once consider the shit running through my head?"

His stare was defiant, both of us staring at each other knowing full well that we are both right and have a right to be upset about the past. Not the case of fair and unfair, not a case of who had it worse.

It was bad all around.

Sitting in silence I break it with a sigh, "But how were you supposed to? I turned my back on everything the moment I could. It felt like I lost everything then and there despite still having people that we didn't lose."

He then chuckles, a small smile on his face, "You still can't argue for shit but at least you learned how to raise your voice."

I then look around, "And you got all of this up and running," then lifting myself to my feet, "A pity that our groups don't get along."

"You work with the top-siders that have abandoned us a long time ago.

"There are good people up there, they are just blind to everything down here or they can't do anything because there are people down here making us under city folk look all the worse."

"Until it bites you in the ass."

I nod, it all does eventually.