Chapter 5

Walking through the pipe way, I trail behind them as I spit out the coins and put them back in my pocket. The nasty taste of grime is still stuck in my mouth - but these are the things we do just to keep everything we have safe.

Wiping my mouth with the back of my hand, hoping that it would help with the taste but in the end, it didn't really help with anything. I glance over my shoulder as we pass another opening revealing a few people being oppressed by the same enforcers.

We aren't even safe down here.

I feel the back of someone's hand against my chest, I snap back as I see Vi next to me, "Quite a runner, aren't you?"

"Can't fight so I managed to perfect running."

"Some fight or flight you have, dialed all the way up towards flight," she then lifts her shoulders, "Though that little trick kicking him in the leg, it must've taken all your courage to do that much."

I roll my eyes, as she laughs at her joke, "Yes - yes," though it quickly disappears, I can tell she is trying to hide her anger, "It's bad out there."

"You think Vander is going to do anything about it?"

I shake my head, "We handle it by not handling it, Vi. You stole something and now they are after you, what kind of response do you think they will have if we started to fight them?"

"You can't keep hiding forever, (Y/N), you need to get out of that shell of yours. Forget what Rud said, forget what Vander says, stick with us and run jobs just to get into the flow of things."

I shake my head, "You already have to deal with Powder, worrying about me will just end up with a situation worse than this one," I then pull my gaze from her, "How about you lay it low for a change."

"I can't," she shakes her head at me, "I don't get why you can't understand that the way you think we need to do things will get people killed the same way if we didn't do anything."

I then counter, "But then I won't be able to blame myself."

She takes a deep breath, shaking her head as if trying to stop herself from saying anything. In those kind eyes of Vander, I can see in those eyes that if it were me I would have broken down. If I were to lead anyone across that bridge I would rather have died with them... out of shame alone.

They were led to their death, but yet we can't blame him. This is what they all wanted, but that doesn't stop you from blaming yourself... with the blood of hundreds seeping through your fingers.

I wish Vi can see that, but how much is she willing to give up?

She then nudges her shoulder against me, "I would have wanted you to be out there with us," she then sighs, "But you made it perfectly clear that you hated the pressure, the rush wasn't for you, and neither was the adrenaline. I had hoped to make you more used to it but I guess it just scared you away."

I lift my shoulders, "Not all of us are capable of doing the things we need to do," I state, "Whatever it is we need to do."

"I just want you to know that you need to fight, there won't be any running..."

"Can't run forever," I nod, "But you have been looking out for me even though you shouldn't," I then shake my head at myself, "You shouldn't worry about me, no offense but there are more important people to worry about than whether or not I will be able to hold my own."

"Yeah..."

Powder then slows down to join in on the conversation, "Why don't you come with us?"

"I am not as brave as you," I smile at her, it earned me a wide smile.

"Or he just doesn't know that he can be brave," Vi counters.

"Maybe when this is all over, when we can go out again you should try."

I nod, "Sure, why not?" it would be a fresh change of pace for her, especially when I am the one likely to fuck things up, "I am just good at running so just toss me everything and I start running one way and hope they follow me."

Vi rolls her eyes, "Can't run forever though, remember to come back down to us."

I snort, "Can't run around in Pilltover forever," then looking at Powder, "Promise. When this is all over, I will do it once only if you promise me something."

"What?" she looks at me as she tilts her head.

"Don't know yet," I state, "I don't have as exciting things to do."

"Maybe play us a tune."

I stop Vi, "I thought I sound like shit?"

"Not as much now, shows that you only want to hear what you wanted to hear," I roll my eyes at her words, I could almost start to see the inside of my head.

"Wait this still has something to do with me, how does that work?" I then shake my head, "Maybe. Besides I don't like being looked at so as long as the comments are at zero then I might consider it."

"What kind of a performer doesn't want to hear commentary?"

"This one with a massive issue taking criticism."

Though that sounds like a pipedream. These visits seem almost relentless, I can't help but wonder what will come next... for us... for everyone. These promises feel like they were meant to be broken but also that we hope that we all stay alive.