Chapter 13

Dropping the bag on one of the tables in his dark office, then dropping it down in one of the chairs I rest my face in my hand. Staring blankly at the floor with a sigh before looking at him cleaning up his previous patient's blood.

"What is with the blood?"

"Snagged an artery," he states, "Someone did a choppy job on his prosthetic and it was blocking one of them. I had to try and remove it and refit it but... well you can imagine how it went. He will be fine."

I nod, "Can I ask you something?"

"You don't ever ask me for much," he chuckles, "Just a touch up here and there but you actually want to ask me something other than fixing you up... well that makes me happy unless I am getting ahead of myself of course," he shakes his head with an awkward giggle.

"Is there a point to this all?" he then looks at me, turning around with a confused gaze.

"I don't quite understand."

"Me. Everything I am doing, revenge."

"How do you feel?" he then asks.

"If I didn't have revenge, I wouldn't have much. I would go insane, tormented by that which I lost but here I managed to keep my head on straight fighting for what I believed I need to do. Though the more I get asked by it... the more I just wished I died that day."

"Then if I may pry further... why do you wish for that?" asked with a worried tone.

"You already know the answer," sigh, shutting my eyes tightly.

"The way I see it," he states, "You are lucky enough to get out by the skin of your teeth. From where I stood I was happy that I could save you from the blood loss, give you your arm back and help you get used to it slowly."

"But that never happened, instead you lost that part of you. You stopped caring about yourself and lost sight of everything, of those that died, of your past, your dreams. That him taking your arm meant that everything else was taken from you."

"Though despite that... they still haunt you."

I then ask, "What if he is dead? What comes next? When my cold hand is around his neck, watching the life drain from his fucking eyes..." I grind my teeth, "Then what? I have nothing else."

"Then it should be about time you find something else?" he then takes a chair, sitting in front of me, "The Revenants. Your own little family you built out of hatred for Silco and his thugs. Have you forgotten they existed?"

"I didn't."

"Then there is your answer, dead man," then looking at me, "I detest everything you do, I would have wanted you to continue on as you were, but the change was inevitable. No matter how drastic," then with a smile, "But even if you don't want to admit that he is still somewhere in that head of yours, you are still (Y/N) to me."

"Hmm," I then crack a small smile, "I don't necessarily feel better after you trying to guilt-trip me there."

He chuckles, "I take whatever win I can," he then lifts himself, "We should take what we can, we are so used to losing. Fighting so hard to hide our fears that end up scaring ourselves, and maybe... when you look at yourself... you are terrified of what stares back."

I shake my head, "I am not scared."

He then lowers himself into my vision, "If any of them were to see you today, how many of them would be proud of what you have become?"

"Does that outweigh everything I have done?" he nods, "Then it would be better if they never saw me."

***   ***   ***

Trying out my new arm, satisfied with its responses I then hide it under my sleeve, slipping on a glove to keep it out of my sight. I take a deep breath, before turning to him.

"Thanks, Xani."

He nods, "Don't you ever worry about it."

"Heard some kids were messing with you," I state.

His smile fades, "Are you going to kill them?"

"No. But I am willing to give them a good scare, you keep us safe so I should at the very least do the same," then pulling the mask from my belt I push it against my face.

"Will you stop if I asked you to?"

"No."

He then turns around from his chair, then with a pained smile states, "I can't even see you anymore behind that mask, you fully intend to let him die... don't you?"

I then shake my head, "You mistake me for wanting him to die, Xani. He is already dead," then turn in place to leave.

"How much more are you willing to lose?"

Not answering him, I shut the door behind me. Leaving his shop into the streets, I take a deep breath of that crispy under city air, then clench my fists as I head straight for them. A long walk later to a neighborhood with houses stack on each other.

I have already made my decision a long time ago, it was only a matter of weeding it out. I just hope they can grow to understand that this is who I have to be. But maybe an effort to be a little less... all or nothing.

I will learn to live when this is all over.

I step around the corner as there are a few teenagers around, with four guys around and above my age

"Sod off, we don't want any trouble with your kind."

I tilt my head at the man sitting on one of the steps, "That the words the doctor told you when you continued to bother him?" he lifts himself fully, "Then I come with a warning, it won't be just me next time."

"Then we will have to make sure to send you back to the Xani with a few broken bones."

The closest man to me swings, I dodge pulling my head back as I knee him in his core. Then grabbing him by his hair I kick him under the jaw as blood pours from his jaw. They all charge me as I take a step backward.

Though they stop in place instantly with a scowl.

Feeling a pat on my back, "You could always have asked for help," Cal whispers with a giggle, then siding next to me she was wearing a new mask already.

Then Rael sides to my other side, "He would never dare ask a soul for help, one man army and all that," Rael then raises his voice, "Now it is a little bit fairer, no?"

The three of them charge to meet us head-on.

Opting to tackle me, I lower myself meeting his tackle with my own. Wrestling against each other, I lift my head backward and bash my head into his. Stumbling back I hit him twice in the gut than with my elbow on his cheek.

As he stumbles backward I move forward, blocking his fist with my mine. Feeling the vibration through the metal, I grab his arm, pulling him into me as I hook his head with my arm. Hitting the ground with his back then his head he is knocked out cold.

Then looking at the other two as they finish up putting them on the floor.

"A nice warm-up, no?" Rael chuckles, "So? Going to actually make use of us or you going to die alone?"

I lift my shoulders, "I could have handled that."

"True, but how many bruises would you have had?"

Cal nods, "So we should just invite ourselves next time, noted," then patting me on the shoulder, "The Enforcers are waiting, we came to find you but it looks like we might have to stick by your side these days."

Rolling my eyes from behind the mask, "Do what you have to."