Chapter 48

•Giovanni•

Watching Nola's Mom act as if everything was normal and brush off the things she did to her— I'm surprised I managed to leave the château without killing her. If she was anyone else I would've ended her life without a second thought. I don't want to do anything that would hurt Nola, and although I know she wants nothing to do with her Mom I'm not sure she's in a place where she would want her dead. She should've been on her knees begging for Nola's forgiveness, kissing Nola's feet for the honor of seeing her. Cazzo, I was just waiting for Nola to shove her Mom in the fire or at least slap the hell out of her. I don't think I could've remained as calm as she did for as long as she did if I were in her shoes.

The flight to Sicily is short and I take a deep inhale of the air as we exit the plane. It's something I always do when I come back. I spent most of my childhood of here, it wasn't until I was ten that we started staying in the US more than a few months a year. Before Nola I spent half the year in the US and the other half in Italy but Italy has always felt a little more like home than anywhere else, probably because my family has history down every street you walk. Everyone knows us and even the ones who detest the Family acknowledge us when we're out. Most Italians used to hold a deep hatred to the Family for the things that happened in the past but we've done so much for this country in the last decade that most of those opinions have shifted.

"No JetVan this time?" Nola jokes as we slip in the awaiting SUV.

"As if someone would have the balls to cross G here." Nico scoffs on the other side of her.

"So things are different in Sicily?" She asks, buckling her seatbelt.

Worlds different since the Families called a truce when I was a baby, before that I'd heard the streets would be painted in blood at least once a week if not more.

"I'd feel comfortable allowing you to leave the house by yourself here." I answer her.

She could walk the streets here and I'd know there were eyes on her at every corner, watching over her without having to follow behind her like Dario and Marcello. It would be extremely stupid for an outsider to harm her here, they'd be surrounded by my men in seconds. It's another reason why I regret not forcing her to come to Italy with me on my last trip, if I had Rafe would still be alive. It's a regret I'll carry with me forever.

Her eyebrows raise in surprise. "We should just move here then."

"Don't tempt me." I mutter.

I'd always assumed I'd stay in the US and run things there but after meeting Nola and having Rome the thought has crossed my mind to move to Sicily quite a few times. I could hand everything in the US over to Riot and continue my usual duties here. I wouldn't constantly be questioning the safety of my son or Nola, it would be less stressful and they'd both have more freedom than I can give them in the US.

"I was joking. I don't see Jade often but I doubt I'd ever see her if we left the country for good." She sighs.

I make a mental note to talk to her friend, I don't like seeing Nola unhappy, surely she could make more of an effort to see her than she has since she was shot. She attended Angelo's funeral and held Nola while she cried, she came back to the house with us and stayed the night but by the next morning she was gone again and she hasn't been back. I don't even think they've FaceTimed each other since.

On the drive to my house Nico tells Nola about the homes and businesses as we pass them. Her attention is on him but her hand is in mine, her side melted against me. It gives me a warm content feeling deep in my chest that has a ghost of a smile tilting my lips the entire ride. Once we arrive I show Nola around the house. Just like the house I rented in Versailles my home has only been modernized for comfort. The tile floor, frescoed walls in the living room and high ceilings throughout is all original whereas the large tile showers, stainless steel appliances in the kitchen and light fixtures aren't.