The Return of Gross Josh

Start from the beginning

Even though Miss Bennett is not here to check this off my goal sheet, I say in my most polite voice, "Josh you are my best friend, and I love you to the moon and back, but Josh, you stink."

Everyone looks at me like I did not say something polite so I add to explain, "I do not like bed bugs. I am afraid of them."

Then, my best friend Josh who is very polite says, "Thanks for letting me know."

I say, "You are welcome." And then I ask just to be safe, "Do you have lice again too?"

Shoshone

Oh Mylanta! Timmy just straight up told Josh he stinks. Just like that - Josh you stink. And - Josh, do you have lice? Josh did not punch him out. He said, and I quote, "Thank you". Thank you!

Josh does stink and apparently he don't mind talking about it, so I say, "What happened, Josh?" because there must be a reason he went back to being the stinky kid again.

He hesitates, but he says, "Miss Bennett was helping me out. She brings me clothes to change."

"Why?" I ask. I always have clean clothes and enough to eat at my house. I just don't understand.

"I take a bath everyday even when there is no hot water, but we have cats and dogs, lots of cats and dogs, so my clothes stink," Josh says just like it is the most normal thing to say.

Brutal. And just like that I am mad and all sad for him too.

Maddie must feel the same way because she says, "Maybe, we can help you now. Until Miss Bennett gets back."

I have been rude and insensitive, and I know this is true because Timmy tells me, "Shoshone, you are rude and insensitive. You need to think about other people's feelings. You need to apologize to my best friend Josh."

"Well," I say, "You said it too. You told Josh he stinks, and you asked him if he has lice."

"I know," says Timmy, "But he is my best friend Josh. And best friends always tell the truth to each other, even if the truth hurts. No matter what. It's a best friend thing."

Timmy is right so I say, "I am sorry, Josh."

Josh says, "No problem, Shoshone."

I add, because now I want to help him too, "I know just where we can get some clothes and a pair of shoes. My brothers won't miss them at all."

Mia

Poor Josh. I am terrible. I did not think about him being poor. I just thought he is dirty and stinky because he don't like baths, and he is mean. And here I have paraded my fancy lunch out everyday. How awful of me. I need to start thinking about other people besides myself.

I wish Miss Bennett would have told me what to expect at her Round Table. I know Josh thinks she is nice, but I think she was minding his business too. I still hate, hate her. I don't care if Miss Bennett never comes back.

I packed sour cream and onion chips again today and just so he will feel better, I give them to Josh.

"Thanks," he says.

Josh is very polite for someone who is poor and smells like a dirty dog.

Carson

I don't know where she is, but Miss Bennett has got to come back soon. The seventh grade student council has two projects this year, and we need her help. I don't know how to pull this off myself, and our new president is no leader. He can barely speak English.

Juanito

Ay caramba! I am the president. I am the boss. These people do not listen to me.

I say in my most grown-up voice, "I am the president, and I am the boss. You must listen to me. I tell you what you will do, when you will do it. We can do this. We can run this school. I am the president. I am the boss."

They do not listen to me. I will have to make them understand. I need Miss Bennett to come back. She will help me and make these people listen to me and do what I say.

Where is Miss Bennett?

I decide to go to the office to see where she is because I am the leader here.

I ask Mrs. Branson. I say, "Office?" in English and hold my tummy like it hurts, and she says yes.  I hear her say, "When did that kid start speaking English?"

I go into the office and guess who is in the office?

Miss Bennett. She looks like she is crying, and the ladies are giving her a hug like they love her, and they miss her. Because she looks sad, and I know she will be happy for me, I say, "Hello, Miss Bennett. I am the new president. I am the new boss."

Miss Bennett says to me, "Hello, Juanito, I heard. Congratulations. Can you speak some English now?"

I smile at her and nod and say, "Si."

Miss Bennett

I go to school today to meet with Principal Galdino. We have to talk about my sick leave and how long I will be out. He has been very nice to me. On the phone earlier, he said he has talked to the county office, and they will work with me. I am new, so I don't have much sick leave, but he said maybe the county can approve it so they can ask other people to donate leave time. 

I am praying people will help me out because I need to keep my health insurance. I am in for a battle.

I am twenty two years old and live alone. I do not have a boyfriend. I am two hours from my parents and my hometown. All my friends here are new friends, not life-long friends.

I am scared I might lose my job. I am scared I might die. I feel all alone.

I am praying in the front office as I wait for Principal G. - Lord, please help me. Please give me strength to face this. Surround me with your love, I pray. Help me be strong. Thy will be done.

Some of my new friends come in and give me what I so desperately need now - lots of hugs and encouragement. I am almost about to cry with relief. Then, I see Juanito, and he can speak English now. He asks me where I have been and without thinking, I tell him.

Question - It sounds like Miss Bennett has a serious problem. What do you think The Round Table  will do now?