Chapter 4

"Morning guys." I say to my fellow year 11 students as they crowd the door, waiting for me to unlock it so they can flock inside to try and get the back row of seats.

"Don't all great me at once." I say as I open the door and they all rush in, nearly knocking me over which makes me roll my eyes.

"Alright so did you guys complete the revision homework I set?" I ask as I put my stuff down on the desk and the class goes silent.

"What homework?" They all say and I laugh.

"I'm just messing with you." I say and the all sigh which makes me laugh again.

"Alright, so welcome to your first offical health and human orientation for year 12! I will most likely be your teacher as I teach both P.E and health."

"So today we're just going to go over the basics, the dimensions of heath and wellbeing so that if someone has chosen this subject for the first time, they can catch up to everyone else and understand the basics." I explain and they all nod.

"So put your hand up if you did unit 1 and 2 of health." I ask and all the kids put their hands up and I smile.

"Wonderful, I'm glad you've all decided to do health in year 12." I say. "I'm not going to lie, it is a lot of content to cover but because you all did units 1 and 2 you will be fine." I add as I begin to open a folder that has some booklets for the kids to fill out during their orientation program.

"Alright, so can someone explain to me what optimal health and wellbeing is?" I ask, taking out a whiteboard marker and writing optimal health and wellbeing in big letters on the white board. I turn back around and see a few hands shoot up.

"Claire." I say and she smiles.

"Optimal Health and wellbeing is the best possible state of an individual's health and wellbeing for their age and is dependent on the interaction between the five dimensions of health and wellbeing."

"Wonderful." I say writing up on the board exactly what she said.

"If I were you, year 12's I'd be opening up my exercise book and creating a little glossary with all the key terms. Getting yourself a head start here." I say and they all groan, but grab their exercise books out and start copying down what I've written up.

"Oh I almost forgot." I say picking up the booklets and handing one out to each student before returning to my spot at the front of the room.

"I know you're all tired as it's the end of the year, but hey it's just two weeks of this and you're done okay? And besides, we're going to try and complete most of the booklet in class so you don't have too much holiday homework." I say and they all sigh a massive sigh of relief.

"Is that just in health or in all our other classes too." Tom asks and I smile.

"Yes it should be in all your other classes too." I say and he nods, before I pick up the booklet.

"Alright I should probably go through this before we get stuck into the course work, but basically unit 3 is all about Australia's health in a globalised world, so basically as it says here, that unit 3 explores, health and wellbeing and illness as global, dynamic and subjective concepts, benefits of optimal health and wellbeing and its importance as an individual and collective resource are examined."

"Unit 4 is all about Global health and human development. So this unit examines health and wellbeing, and human development around the world and the factors that contribute to health inequalities between and within countries over time."

"I'm not going to bore you all with reading out the rest of it but basically if you look down to the table at the bottom of the page, unit 3 sacs are worth 25% to your ATAR, unit 4 sacs are also worth 25% but most of the marks come from the end of year exam with 50% going towards your ATAR."