Chapter 9 - A Pipe In The Ass

"Oh bloody hell."

I look up from the book I'm reading.

"What?" I ask.

He gestures me over to his desk. I place my book down and walk over to see the schedule for today. We have mass first thing in the morning.

I groan. "What for? Church is so boring."

"I certainly don't want to hear you people worshipping dear old Dad." He rolls his eyes.

By the way he speaks, I can tell family is a sore subject for him to talk about.

"Lucifer... can I ask about your family?" I look at him and I see him look away from me.

"Depends... some topics are harder to talk about than others."

I nod, wondering if I should ask him. I don't want to upset him, but I'm also curious.

"Why do you hate your father so much?"

He laughs dryly. "When one of God's children started acting up he cast him out of Heaven to rule Hell for all of eternity. He abandoned me."

I see him clench his jaw in anger, his hands balled into fists.

"What about your mother?"

"Dad spent too much time on you humans so she caused some plagues and floodings. She was cast away to Hell but then escaped. Caused some mayhem or whatnot. I was supposed to send her back to Hell since she couldn't go back to Heaven and she refused to take my spot to rule Hell so I sent her to the Void. It gave her a chance for a fresh start, even if it meant I wouldn't see her again."

I look at him in so much confusion, basically giving him the look I have when I try to solve a very complex math problem.

"What?" I ask.

Lucifer rolls his eyes. "It's because you still don't believe me. When are you gonna get it through that tiny human brain of yours that I'm actually the Devil?"

"First off, ouch. Second, you still haven't shown me proof yet."

"I can't. You'll never want to see me again if I do."

He looks at me for the first time since asking about his family and I can see he really means it. I can see that he really doesn't want to lose me over this.

I nod. "Alright." I then decide to get back to the family topic. "You have any siblings?"

"Plenty." He answers dryly.

'I know that exact same feeling.'

"Any you close with?"

"Surprisingly, yes. Amenadiel, he's the firstborn. We may butt heads at times but we have each other's back. He's actually here on Earth with me."

"Umm so... did any other... angels come down to visit you?" I ask, feeling a bit awkward for going along with this.

"My sister Azrael and there was one other..." He trails off.

For the first time ever I see Lucifer at his most vulnerable. His usual cocky demeanor is gone and his eyes gloss over with tears he refuses to let spill.

"Lucifer, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to." I place a hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you."

He hides his pain behind a smile but I see right through it. He clears his throat and quickly stands up, composing himself back to his usual cocky self.

"You should be getting to homeroom, love. Don't want to be late."

"I'm actually wishing I came to school late so I could miss church," I mutter.