Chapter 4 - It All Unravels Now

"Nathan's dead."

I look at her and I feel like my whole world just came crashing down.

"W-wh-What?" I ask, hoping I didn't hear her right.

She doesn't say anything but ushers me inside and closes the door behind her. I plop on the couch and stare at the wall in front of me. I don't even know how to feel. I want to shout, scream, punch something, but nothing comes out.

Mrs. Drake comes over and sits next to me.

"What happened?" I ask, still staring straight ahead.

"I don't know." I turn my head to look at her as she elaborates. "I shouldn't be telling you this but I trust you and know you didn't do this to my boy." Her voice cracks and she wipes a stray tear from her eye. "Nathan was killed about a week and a half ago. Someone pushed him down the stairwell, the police said. They sent in someone to pose as a teacher to keep an eye on suspicious students and ask around. They didn't want to make a whole deal about it and scare the killer away."

'Down the stairwell? The same stairwell we kissed on?'

"Wait, you said someone is posing as a teacher?" I ask and she nods. "Who?"

"Lucifer Morningstar."

I press my lips together.

"Figures," I mutter. "The police still have nothing?" She shakes her head and sighs while I clench my jaw. "I-I-I still can't believe—" My voice starts cracking.

Mrs. Drake puts her arms around me and cradles me and we both just cry in one another's arms. She's like a second mom to me and I love her as much as my real mom. I understand her pain because she knows how much Nathan meant to me and now he's gone.

When she pulls away she wipes the tears on my cheek and looks me in the eyes.

"You can't tell anyone this, alright? You can't tell Willow, Lewis, or even James."

I nod. "Alright. I won't tell them." She cups my cheeks and continues to wipe the running tears on my face. "Where's... where's Mr. Drake?"

"He's... he's thrown himself into work."

"Oh." Is all I say and I look down.

Mrs. Drake removes her hands from my face. "You know... he didn't even get to go to his first day of senior year. He didn't get to get his diploma and graduate or go to senior prom. Who—who could do something like this?"

I try to stay strong for her as I shake my head. "I don't know, but I promise you... I'll find the son of a bitch that did this." I place a hand on her knee to help comfort her.

Her lip curves upward a bit. "Thank you."

I nod and stand up. "How about I make us some tea."

"Oh no, I can do that honey." Mrs. Drake stands up but I set her back down and shake my head.

"I got it."

I head towards the kitchen and put the kettle on the stove. Once it's done I make us some tea and bring the cups out. We sit and reminisce about Nathan for two hours.

"Oh remember that time you two signed up for the science fair when you were nine." Mrs. Drake says.

"You mean that time where we decided to make a volcano and we put too much baking soda in and it exploded all over the kitchen?"

She nods and chuckles. "That's the one."

"I had it all over my white shirt too! My mom was mad." I laugh. "I remember the look on her face. It wasn't funny then but it is now."