Safety and Equipment

Safety is the most important thing!

Here are some ground rules:

-Don't lift heavy. If you know you're comfortable but still working hard curling a 10 pound weight, don't move up to a 15 pound weight. This is especially important for benchpresses!!

-If you moving up in weight or reps/sets, find someone who can spot you (A spotter is someone you know can lift more than you. They're there to guide but not hold or carry the weight/barbell so in case you can't complete the rep they can put it back on the rack for you)

-Don't over do it. If you feel yourself fatiguing and your muscles start to shake, don't go for the next rep. Take a break for a while to recover or maybe stop for the day.

-Give your body breaks. Don't workout 7 days a week. Yes you should be doing something and not just sit around, but don't continuously workout. Your muscles need time to recover and heal. Not giving yourself breaks could result in an injury or your body just "breaking down" and you could get sick (like coughing sneezing sick)

- Do not exercise in a binder!! This can cause injuries such as broken ribs, it also restricts your breathing! Trans tape is fine, but never binders and especially not ace bandages (please never bind with ace bandages, they can break your ribs even without exercise). If you wear a binder, when exercising switch to a sports bra!!

Equipment

types of equipment!

Barbell: A barbell is used for deadlifts and benchpresses. It's the long bar with the circular weights at each end. You'll usually only find these in gyms, and you should really only do barbell exercises with a spotter.

Dumbbell: A dumbbell is commonly used for curling. You can find these at most stores. They usually come in the weights 2 lbs up to 30 lbs. These are great for at home exercises.

Kettle ball: A kettle ball can be used for almost the same things a dumbbell can be used for (curling one is a bit hard though) but are mostly used for farmer carry type exercises. Like dumbbells you can find these in most stores and they come in a variety of weights.

Medicine Ball: Medicine balls are a spherical weighted ball that allows for you to move it in order to build muscle and add weight to non equipment necessary exercises. A good example is using a medicine ball for russian twists. However, they are not very versatile and and can often be replaced with a dumbbell or kettle ball.

Tension Band: A tension band is mostly used for adding weight to a no-equipment exercise, like squats or lunges. They can be used to strengthen muscles like your knees. You can find these at most stores.

Exercise ball: An exercise ball is used for building core muscles (your abdominal muscles) or decline push-ups. You can find these at sporting goods stores.

Other gym equipment: Things like incline benches or leg presses while helpful aren't necessary. They aid in working out your muscles but if you don't have access to them it won't affect your ability to work out effectively.

The exercises I'll put in the weekly plans only require a dumbbell, and tension band. Which are both things you can get a store like Target or Walmart, if you don't already have them. Everything else requires nothing or something you already have. I did this because I know most people don't have much equipment and because going to a gym is intimidating. And especially because of Covid, many people can't go to gyms.