7. pretty stranger.

-

ACT ONE
(pretty stranger)

VERONÍCA SOOTHINGLY rubbed her friend's arms as they looked out at the forest. The gunshot that rang through the air not long before worrying Lori, which worried Veroníca.

"You still worrying about it?" Andrea asked, making. Veroníca bite her tongue, in hopes of not replying snarkily.

"Why one, why just one gunshot?"

"Maybe they took down a walker." Daryl answered glancing in between Lori and Veroníca as he did so.

"Please don't patronize me. You know Rick wouldn't risk a gunshot to put down one walker. Shane either—they'd do it quietly."

"She's right, shouldn't they have caught up to us by now?" Carol added, looking at the redneck for answers.

"There's nothing we can do about it anyway. Can't run around these woods chasing echos."

"He's right, Rick knows what he's doing, i'm sure the gunshot was necessary." Veroníca agreed, sending Daryl a smile which he ignored.

Lori nodded a little at her friend before turning to Daryl once more. "So, what do we do?"

"Same as we've been. Beat the bush for Sophia, work our way back to the highway."

"I'm sure they'll hook up with us back at the R.V."

The group silently agreed before they began walking, stopping when Andrea started talking to Carol.

While Veroníca couldn't hear exactly what they were saying, she did make out Andrea's last sentence. "We're all hoping and praying with you. For what it's worth."

"I'll tell you what it's worth. Not a damn thing. It's a waste of time all this hoping and praying 'cause we're gonna locate that little girl, and she's gonna be just fine." Daryl spoke sternly, pausing a moment before continuing. "Am I the only one zen around here?"

"Zen isn't the exact word i'd use to describe you." Veroníca smiled, pretending to ponder for a moment before she spoke up once more. "I'd use gruff."

At her joke, Glenn dropped his mouth open in shock before laughing and high-fiving the woman. "She—"

"Where'd you learn that word. Your son?" Daryl squinted, not seeming amused at her joke.

Glenn was definitely amused though, more so after Daryl's remark. Fortunately, his amusement didn't drop when Daryl ignored the man's offer for a highfive.

So as the group continued walking, Veroníca's smile stayed on her face as she listened to Glenn quietly giggle to himself.

-

The group remained semi-silent, minus Andrea's random bursts of complaining. "As the crow flies my ass." Andrea mumbled, groaning when she walked into a spiderweb.

"You complain quite a bit." Veroníca finally spoke, continuing to look in front of her as she did.

"Well, You would to if you actu—" Andrea suddenly stopped, her voice now replaced with her screams of fear.