Chapter 10

My heart was pounding and I could feel all the blood rushing from my head. The words coming from Kyle’s mouth wasn’t what I thought I would feel. In that instant it felt like my world was falling around me. Maybe I was in a dream, or a nightmare. This sure as hell felt like one. It didn’t make sense for my life to change in an instant. Maybe this was just a terrible joke that my parents were playing on me and they decided to bring everybody in my grandma’s town in on it. The only feeling I felt was betrayal, betrayal from my family from keeping this secret from me, whatever secret it was, betrayal from Kyle, whom I had just met, but felt like I had known for forever. Pain filled my heart and an anger I didn’t know I could feel filled my entire being.       

            “Let me find out what..” Kyle opened his mouth and I brought my finger up knowing he would try to weasel his way out of the conversation. “And before you say something that isn’t the truth let me stop you right there. I have been in hell for the past couple of weeks. Dreams have been keeping me from sleeping and now to find out that I am a part of some werewolf cult. I can’t take it.”

            “You aren’t a part of a cult. You are a part of the greatest werewolf hunting family of all time. Your family has been charge of protecting his town ever since your grandmother Gwendolyn helped us destroy the first werewolf pack and ever since your ancestors have always been there.” He pulled a paper out of his pocket and folded it into my hands. “Here I was told to give this to you when you found out what you are. I didn’t want to do it like this.”

            My grey eyes roamed over the contents in my hand. The paper was crinkled from being kept in a pocket for a long time. Did I want to read it? I didn’t know how much else I could take. After a couple of minutes of just staring at the paper and arguing with my inside voice, my shaking fingers began to unfold the paper. It was my grandmother’s elegant handwriting that filled the page.

                                    Dear Mark Pike,

            It is now time for you to let you son know everything that is going to happen, and his role in everything. My daughter Lorraine is flying in tonight. The wolf pendant is gone and that means they can be sensed. It could be in Gabriel’s hands and we all know he just wants to kill my family. He cannot end my family’s line. The whole town knows this. If he gets to Annabeth and kills her, then the end will come. She is going to be our savior from the werewolves. Kyle must begin his role as her protector once she arrives. Her love of animals will work out perfectly for you animal shelter. I will not allow her to face the same fate as my sister.

                                                                        Rosie

I couldn’t breathe as I finished reading the letter my grandmother had written to Kyle’s father. “So my dreams weren’t really dreams, they were visions of the past.”

“Do you want to talk to me about these dreams?” Kyle hesitantly asked, probably sensing my anger from before reading the letter.

“If I am going to be completely honest, I really do not want to be around any of you right now.” He winced at the tone of my voice. A tiny part of me felt bad that he was hurt. It wasn’t his fault, and yet I couldn’t help but feel wounded that he didn’t let me in on anything. “I know this is your spot, but I really don’t want to be near anybody right now. Everything has happened way too fast for me and all this information is going to make me explode.”

He rubbed my shoulders and I inched away, not wanting to feel anybody’s touch. “Of course you can use this spot. I will just wait by the truck and you can come when you are ready.”

“No, you can leave.”

“I can’t just leave you. I am your protector.”

A laugh exited my mouth. “My protector, psh, I don’t even know what you are protecting me from. Since my dreams are real, the only one I need protecting from is my own family. They are the ones that caused all of this.”

“How could you say that? You are a part of the line that saved us from those beasts.” He sounded so convincing, but he didn’t know what I knew. If my dreams were visions, then it was my ancestor Gwendolyn who started the war with the werewolves.

“Please just leave Kyle. I know my grandmother said you are my protector, but if you don’t leave you will have to protect yourself from me. I am really not in the mood right now. My world is falling around me and I just don’t know what to do.” A solo tear fell down from my face and threatened to expose the waterfalls that were about to come.

He nodded and walked away, his footsteps getting more silent as he walked farther away. “I won’t tell your mother and Rosie. You have my word. Please call me once you are ready to leave.”

I didn’t answer and was left in the silence of my own thoughts and tears. Nothing should surprise me. My mother was always secretive. Now it all just made sense. The way she was always protective of the pendant. Then how freaked out she was when my father sold the pendant. The one thing that scared me the most were my dreams. The yearning I felt for the man named Gabriel was overpowering. Seeing him in reality made it all worse. I had to have him in every way possible. My grandmother’s words filled my mind. He wanted to kill her family and yet he was sweet to me when I was in his home. I needed answers and if I needed to walk into the wolf’s den, then it was what I needed to do.

My fingers had a mind of their own as they tapped the screen of my phone. I stared at my phone and took a deep breath.

“Lycan lair, here I come.” 

So sorry everybody, that I haven't updated in a while. I started working two jobs, so I literally have no time. But yayy I got off early today. Sorry the chapter is so short, but hopefully you all like it. Thanks for the votes and comments. I really appreciate how much you guys like it. Vote, tell your friends. Enjoy