You Run Like A Noodle

Start from the beginning

"Look at them!" I gesture to a bunch of students gathered together and obviously talking about the whole fiasco at the cafeteria. "They're like vultures desperately following the stench of chaos for hopes of new gossip. It's nauseating!" I shake my head in contempt.

"Oh, forget about them." Audrey waves them off, not finding them the least amusing. "If no one is talking about you, then you certainly aren't doing things right."

While I furrow my brows at Audrey's words, Cherry and Nat nod with all seriousness and realizing there just is no point in arguing with their logic, I shake my head.

"Listen guys," I am about to give them a speech as to why the attention isn't a good thing, but I am interrupted by the bell which and I sigh when I realize I have biology class.

The other girls get up, except Nat who just leans further into the chair as though it is the most comfortable thing in the world. She picks up a beanie I didn't realize was on her leg and places it over her eyes.

"Uhm... Aren't you heading to class?" I inquire, seeing as no one else is bothered.

'Nope!" She responds, popping the 'p'.

With a tight-lipped smile, I nod and wave at the other girls, narrowly escaping Cherry's bear hug before I run towards the direction of the biology lab.

The lab is half-filled already, but the lecturer is nowhere to be found. I look around the class and let out a breath of relief when I don't find Trixie anywhere. However, when I arrive at my usual spot in the class, I find Asher sitting there, waiting for me.

He looks up at me and his lips stretch into a wide and infectious grin that results in my heart displaying their acrobatic skills.

As usual, his shaggy ginger hair falls around his face and over his forehead, and it takes all of my willpower to not reach out and feel the texture of his locks. His warm amber eyes bore into mine as he waits for me to take a seat, but I am rooted to the spot by the nerves dancing in my stomach.

"Hi, Bells." His voice is smooth and confident. I don't bother voicing a response as I know I would only sound like a frightened mouse. Instead, I nod. "I decided to seat with you today. Come on." He taps the spot beside him and with another reluctant nod, I sit beside him.

I think back to the last biology class we had where Trixie had expressively told me that if I didn't stay away from Sam and Ash, she would make my friends' lives living hells.

Once again, I look around in search of Trixie. She isn't here. Behind me though, Tony and Allen Stone. Tony grins at me as though we are best of friends, whereas Allen doesn't seem to notice me as he is too busy writing something down into his note.

I feel eyes on me and I turn my attention to Asher who is still staring intently at me, curiosity brimming in his eyes. I try to ignore him as I fish for my books from my backpack, but his stare is unrelenting and somewhat disturbing.

"The intensity of your gaze could burn a hole through me," I state without even staring at him and he chuckles slightly.

"The intensity of my – Only you talk like that, Bells. Only you!" He teases and I shrug.

"What can I say? I'm an avid reader, hence my advances and flawless vocabulary." I finally turn to him so he can see my grin and once again, he chuckles, but his eyes don't seem quite happy.

"What's the matter?" I question as I arrange my book and writing equipment on the table. "You don't look too happy today."

"I'm not!" He states and I puff air into my mouth as I nod, waiting for him to tell me what's wrong with him. After awkward moments of silence, he continues. "You've been avoiding me."

I swallow hard when I see Trixie walking into the class with a huge smile on her perfect face. A smile that drops the moment she catches sight of me sitting beside Ash – the guy I am supposed to be staying away from.

Her eyes narrow into dangerous slits and if looks could kill, I know I'd have been incinerated already. She stands at the doorway for a moment, glaring daggers at me until I cannot take it anymore and turn my gaze to Ash.

"Trixie likes you," I inform him, gesturing with my head to where Trixie is still glaring at me, probably coming up with different ways to make me pay for my transgression. "In fact, I have been warned to shy away from you, least I face dire consequences."

Ash squirms uncomfortably on his seat as he watches Trixie stomp to the back of the class in anger where she shoves a girl off her seat and settles down, still glaring at me.

"She doesn't." Asher shakes his head. I am about to argue with him, but he continues talking. "She was dating my best friend prior to his... you know... It's just so weird that she would immediately move on and want to date me. Me! His best friend!" He points to himself. "Moreover, she irritates me."

"Bro! She's hot! How could you not want that?"

I am startled by Tony who leans forward and just join in on the conversation. I frown at him, but he smiles widely and winks at me. Asher rolls his eyes at his friend and shoves him back.

"Mind your business, Anthony," Asher tells the boy who grumbles, but settles into his seat. When he is sure Tony isn't listening to us anymore, Asher turns back to me. "Is that why you have been avoiding me?"

I pass him a sheepish smile as I shrug. Thankfully, I am spared an explanation as our teacher walks in. After salutations are exchanged, he turns to the board and starts writing something down.

"It really isn't fair, you know? I want to be friends with you, but you seem to be afraid of vexing Trixie. Where then does that leave us?" Asher whispers to me.

I stare straight at the board, writing my note and not turning to him.

"I am not afraid of Trixie," I clarify. "I just try my possible best to avoid drawing unnecessary attention to myself, and I also prefer to avoid confrontation that could lead to violence. I'm not a fighter. I'm sorry Asher, I don't plan on getting beat up because of you."

I hear Asher sigh deeply, but he leans away from me. I release the breath I didn't know I was holding and continued paying attention to the note until our teacher turned to explain to us.

Class keeps going fine until the teacher turns to the board and continues writing. Asher leans towards me again and I raise a brow, though I still refuse to face him.

"I have an idea. How about we go somewhere after work today? Trixie wouldn't know."

His words catch my attention and I drop my pen as I turn to him, my brows furrowed. He is smiling hopefully at me, and it is the cutest thing I have ever seen.

My insides scream at me to accept his proposal, but I turn around to catch Trixie gripping tightly at her pen until it snaps in half and the sound causes the guy beside her to flinch and fall off his chair.

"I – you know what? That's a good idea. We should definitely do that." I nod at him and he fist-bumps the air. "However, that means we'll be out late and it'll be cold, so I'll have to take your hoodie." I gesture to the ash coloured hoodie he's wearing and he nods enthusiastically.

"I could give it to you right now if you want." He nods, but I shake my head as I chuckle in excitement.

I'm going on a date with Asher!

Excitement still grows within me as I try to focus on the class, but it dies down the moment I remember the last thing Sam Light said to me just before he disappeared.

"...we can talk about the person I actually believed murdered him; Asher Reid."

I steal a glance at Asher to find him writing down in his note, a huge smile on his face and my heart pounds in my chest as I try to piece it all together in my head.

Could Asher be the killer and the secret admirer?

~~~

Hii! I haven't been leaving author's notes. Just wanted y'all to enjoy the story uninterrupted.

Thank y'all for reading. Please drop a vote and comment