C H A P T E R 31

Začít od začátku

"They pity you." Oliver commented.

"No, we love you." I pecked him on the cheek, earning an adorable smirk from him.

A happiness, never known before soared through my heart. This was how it felt like to celebrate Christmas with a family. I had really underrated the experience in my imagination.

But it soon vanished when a certain someone's absence started to show it effects now. Rafael still didn't show up. He was in his room doing god knows what.

As if on cue, a faint sound of his footsteps echoed in the living room as he descended from the curved staircase. Camila's beaming smile matched with the one I suppressed within me.

"Hey! Merry Christmas." She skipped her way to him, locking her arms around his neck while his strong and assuring held her in their promising hold. That's when I noticed it. My eyes hurt like I was glaring at the scorching sun itself.

He had his ring back on his finger.

"Merry Christmas." He lightly caressed her head, his warm actions contrasting with the coldness of his eyes.

At that time, I was nothing but a disdainful resemblance of a cracked structure, ready to crumble at the slightest touch. Pitiful stares and wordless apologies engulfed me, making me want to disappear.

I wanted this. It's not fair on my part to feel this way. But I'll need some time to get used to this.

"Vittoria." Camila's soft voice pulled me out from my painful thoughts back to the reality where I had to test all my acting skills. "You were right. It doesn't have to be this way between us."

This was the first time I heard her talk to me without wanting me dead. That was a good sign I guess.

"I'm sorry I behaved like that." She placed a hand over my shoulder.

"Please don't apologize."

"I have him back. We talked things out and now it's sorted. Thank you, Vittoria. You really have a big heart. Mom would be so proud of you." A tear slid down her smooth cheeks, erupting many into my eyes.

The last line made it all worthy.

My burning heart soothed with a calm I never experienced before. Camila hesitated for a hug but the remaining tension between us vanished as I felt her hand rub my back as if bestowing me all the strength I needed.

From my peripheral vision, I could see the secret displeased scowls Alli and Mason passed each other.

"I could really use a sister right now." She sniffled.

"I'm right here, sister."

"I'm going to cry." Oliver remarked.

"You never cry, grandpa." I rolled my eyes playfully.

"Uh, grandpa?" Camila squinted her eyes, lost.

"This guy. Our brother."

A hearty chuckle left from her lips. "Hmm, he does act like one."

"You're supposed to support me. You were my last hope." He grumbled.

"Not when it's so true." She sassed, earning a poke in her gut which didn't affect her one bit.

"You have no idea how relieved I am." He pulled us in for a big brotherly hug. "I got my Christmas gift."

"Yeah, me too." She smiled, looking at Rafael who hadn't even so much as looked at me until now.

"Let's party!" Liam pumped his fist in the air, blocking my upcoming wave of sorrow.

I shrugged off the sadness and tried focusing on the good things happening around me.