"Wow, I feel so honored." I held a hand over my chest. "I thought you hated me."

"I hated the old you."

"The old me?"

"Yep!" She said popping the p. "The cold ruthless, arrogant bitch. This version of you is way more likable."

The Vittoria version of me.

"Tell me the truth. How much sex did you two have?" She teased, lightly kicking my foot.

"This is a trap. You're gonna tell Mason." I laughed.

"Nah! I just declared to him openly that I'm team Rattoria." She held her arm up.

"Rattoria!" I scoffed. "I'm doubtful that exists now."

"She's very stubborn." She cringed. "Being good is bad at times. You gotta learn to be a little selfish." She said, voicing my thoughts. "I really thought you'd find a way to convince her."

"I did, actually. She was going to say yes but then-"

"All hell broke lose." She frowned, the displeasure clearly shows on her face. "You should've married her right then."

"And then what? I don't want her to feel guilty for loving me. That was the entire idea. I want her. But more than that, I want her to be happy." I stared at the still blue water, wondering if that's even possible. Maybe Mason was right. She'll never be happy with me.

"Love!" Allegra sighed, looking far away. "What a funny way to invite pain for yourself."

I studied her intently, trying to figure out the meaning of her words.

"Nikolai?" I asked, hoping I don't cross my limits.

"Naah!" She waved a hand dismissively. "I never loved that bastard."

We form our opinions about people so easily, without knowing their entire story. A few months ago Allegra Tanner was just an enemy worth nothing but my hate. Little did I know there was a good friend hidden within her.

What was her story? It intrigued me to no end. But I had no right to know until she wanted me to.

"I don't understand what you're waiting for, Rafael. Go and fuck some sense into your girl."

I was slightly taken aback by her straightforward approach. But then again she's best friends with Mason. She ought not to have a filter on her mouth.

"I think it's best if I leave her alone for a while."

"And make her think you don't give a damn about her now that Camila is here?" She retorted.

"She'd never think like that."

"Here's a tip, Mr Grayson. Insecurity doesn't leave any girl, no matter how high the level of trust is." A tinge of jealousy dashed through her voice.

So this is a been there, done that situation. This meant it was a verified fact. There's no way I'm going to let that thing come between us.

Determined, I stood up and just then, light crystals of snow began cascading down from the dark sky like a signal to go and make a move.

"Thanks, Allegra." I smiled.

"No problem." She returned the gesture.

"Rafael!" She stopped me, her face twisted and eyes glaring at the ring on my finger. "Make sure you take that meaningless thing off."

Oh no! She's going to have the wrong idea.

"It was... It was just to make Camila feel a little better. Vittoria had already said no. I.. I didn't-"