12- Snow and sneakers

22 hours ago

please talk to me, eli

what just happened?

eli can you just come back?

eli come on

you said we would watch Tangled

what did your brother say to you?

did Noelle get you home alright?

eli this is ridiculous. just talk to me

look, I know you don't care about this stuff, but I have a game tomorrow. Come watch it. Maybe we could talk after??? Please. I miss you.

. . .

I don't see Eli on Monday. And by the time the game rolls around, I'm too distracted to think about it.

Football in Juneau is weird. Our weather is absolute crap, so we have sort of a play when you can sort of attitude. Which works well, given the limited number of schools with football teams.

Everything is frigid as I walk onto the field. The team has already gathered in the center, hyping themselves up. It's a ritual to do something new and weird during every game, because we never win. Today, they're wearing their jerseys the wrong way.

"August!" Someone yells at me.

I wave, but it's too foggy to know who I am talking to.

Here's the thing: Our team sucks. Like, we're really really bad. When I tell people I play for Opportunity football, they say, "You guys have a team?"

Yes, we do.

It's hard to blame them for not knowing.

I glance up at the stands. Despite all my complaints, people still turn up when the game actually starts. Or you know, file in during half time if the scores look promising. Still, through all the mist, I can see they are still empty.

Or almost empty.

In the bottom row I spot a small blond boy. I start forwards.

My phone dings.

Don't come up

I stop dead in my tracks.

why not?

My ringtone plays out. The incoming call message appears on the screen. I slide to accept.

"Hello?"

"Hey." Eli's voice fills my ear, all soft and sweet.

"Why are we on the phone if we are literally standing less than twenty feet apart?"

"Because it's easier to talk to someone when you can't look them in the eye. And I felt silly talking with my back turned." He sighs. "I'm sorry about what happened at lunch. Cal just really pissed me off."

"Did you two work it out?"

He laughs. "Are you kidding? Have you seen his nose? I'll count myself lucky if he even spares a breath to insult me again."

I look the the stands as he tears a hand through his hair.

"Are you mad at me?" He asks quietly.

I shake my head. "No."

"Why not?"

"Because you did nothing wrong."

"The world might disagree with that. My parents certainly do. They grounded me. I'm dead if they catch me calling you."