11- Moments

I don't think I've ever spent this much time in a closet before. A real one, I mean. Not the metaphorical one I camped out in until I was thirteen.

What is it normal people normally wear on dates? I have several outfits later across the room. Something effortless yet stunning? Jeans and a jumper? A corny tee?

My heart twinges at the thought that a cis boy would never spend this much time staring at themselves in the mirror, having a one person fashion show.

Finally, I settle on a forget-me-not blue cardigan with a white collared shirt underneath. I shift, fixing my binder in place.

Was this even a date? It certainly felt like one, with all the nerves.

I glance at my watch. I have half an hour before Juno comes to pick me up. Plenty of time to clean up and agonize over my hair.

My door pushes open as I reach for a pair of acid wash pants. I jump back like I have something to hide.

Cal gives me an oof look. He coughs. "Sorry. Wrong room. I'm still trying to get a lay of the land."

"Of course." I nod. "Completely understandable."

I wait for him to leave, but he just stands there. His eyes brush over the clothes strewn across the room. "Are you going somewhere?"

"Yes," I say. "Going out with a friend."

I wait for him to laugh. I don't even know why I told Cassel. He looks away. "Be careful," he says on a breath, before whirling on his heel and gently shutting the door:

I stare frozen at the empty space where he just was for much too long, transfixed. When the doorbell rings, I'm scrambling for my black high tops.

"Hey," I say a little too breathlessly. My voice sounds high. It was definitely too high.

"Hi," Juno replied. He raises a large dish I hadn't realized he was holding. "Mum made lasagna. She wanted to thank you for having me over the other night."

"Thank you." I take the dish. It's surprisingly heavy. It takes all my willpower to not drop it.

I think that maybe I should invite him in, but I really just want to get going. I excuse myself to go store the dish, and then practically sprint for his car.

I get in the passenger's seat, and Juno starts the engine.

"I hope you don't mind, but I invited some of your friends."

Relief and disappointment fill me. But mostly relief. I wasn't ready for a whole meal alone with Juno. Not yet. Still, it would've been nice to be consulted before hand. "Sounds good."

He pulls out of my driveway, and I can't help but saying, "To infinity and beyond!"

Juno turns in his seat and flashes a grin. "You, Eli Ruewen, are a Disney fan."

"Who isn't?"

"What's your favourite?"

"Brave," I reply without really thinking about it. Merida had been a remodel for me when I was younger. Not just to be a fiery redhead with crazy archery skills and a bear for a mother (though that did sound pretty cool) but to be myself, no matter what. "You?"

His face scrunches up in concentration. It's really cute. I almost want to take a photo.

"Tangled or Coco," he says finally. "I can't choose between the two."

"Tangled is supreme."

"Did you know the name Rapunzel is actually a kind of cabbage?"

I can't hold back my snort. I hold a hand over my mouth. "You're kidding."