14- Detention

At school on a Saturday. Again. I swear, I'm making a habit of it.

Only it's not so quiet today. Even from outside the parking lot I can see I'm going to have to park somewhere else. I'm not even sure how the teachers managed to catch so many students switching uniforms.

What I do know is that after today, there's no way uniforms are sticking around.

I park by a cheap convenience store, and buy Eli a coffee because I feel bad. He laughs and smiles, but for once accepts the gift without protest.

"You know," I say, "I didn't think anyone could be this happy about detention."

His smile widens. "We did something, Juno. We really did something."

"Yeah, we did." I stare at his expression. I don't want to ever look away.

"Juno," someone behind me says. I turn.

My blood freezes.

A woman who is most definitely not a girl anymore stares at me. Curly blond hair topples down her shoulders. Her brown eyes regard me, her smile hopeful.

Leslie.

"Eli," I say under my breath, "can you wait for me in the car?"

He blinks. Then nods slowly. "Okay."

I wait until he's out the door to speak. "Why are you here?"

"I wanted to see you." She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. "I've been talking with Mum." "And you two couldn't arrange a more normal meeting spot?" I laugh nervously.

"She... Didn't want me to see you. Said it might hurt too much." Her gaze drops. "You look different."

"Last time you saw me I was twelve," I say shakily. "I'm not a kid anymore."

"Yes you are." Her smile turns sad. "You're just like me. Thinking you're grown. You're only in your first real relationship."

"W-What? I've been in a relationship before."

"Did you ever care about them as much as that girl?"

"Boy," I say on instinct. "He's a boy. And we aren't dating." My eyes burn. "I need to go, Leslie."

"Wait."

"I don't want to see you anymore." I'm trembling. Everything inside me feels like it's crumbling. Like someone's shattered a mirror and I'm staring at a thousand broken reflections of myself. "Please."

I push past her. She stumbles.

"Juno-"

"No." I don't look at her. Cold wind freezes my tears. "I don't want to hear it."

Please.

. . .

By the time I get to the car I'm crying so hard I can't see straight. I take a minute to stop, trying to catch my breath -to catch anything that resembles the idea of not being completely ruined- but I'm beyond even faking the idea of being okay.

"Juno?" Eli's hands find mine. "What happened? Who was that woman?"

His coffee sits forgotten in the cup holder. My teeth sink into my lip.

"No one." Absolutely no one. I scrub away my tears, only for more to spill over. "Can you just drive?"

He pauses, then nods. We switch seats and Eli takes the wheel. I don't know where he plans on parking. I totally forgot why we came here. But he does what I ask, and drives.