Chapter 4: Birthday Surprise

Start from the beginning

“Yeah, your right.” Suck it up. Your now open mother is taking you out, deal with it.

But no matter how hard I tried to convince myself that I’d like it, I couldn’t swallow the pill called ‘spa’. The spa sounded just as fun as taking a math test.

We pulled into the parking lot. The spa was called ‘Ocean Breeze Spa and Salon’. It was a big, spread out, white building. It had thick, golden pillars at the front of it with sliding glass doors. Trees and flowers were planted everywhere. It looked like everybody’s paradise or Hawaii, whatever you want to call it.

Inside was cherry wood flooring and elegant side tables, with sleek, leather chairs.

A burly, tall woman, with extremely, curly hair pulled into a ponytail sat at the front desk. “May I help you?” She asked.

“Ah . . .yes, we’re here for the spa and salon day package.” Said my mom putting her purse on the counter.

“Okay, let me just have you fill out this form.” She started digging through one of the file cabinets. “And you can be on your way.”

The only sounds that could be heard were Ms. Muscular getting paper and a fountain trickling.

“Here you go.” She said giving the forms to my mom with an ‘Ocean Breeze Spa and Salon’ pen. “Have you ever been here before?”

“A few times, actually.”

“Oh . . .so, you wouldn’t want a tour?”

“No, thank you.” Said mom giving back the pen and forms.

“Okay, then. Enjoy yourselves.” She said nicely.

We walked down a long hallway into a dim room. A room filled with sand. They made it beachy-looking with fake palm trees and fake rocks that had some calming music drifting out of them. Some call it soothing, I call it weird. Inside was a big Jacuzzi without water. Instead mud or maybe clay, I’m not sure, replaced it.

A woman sat in it with a towel wrapped around her head and some kind of mask on. From the looks of her shoulders she looked bare. Bare as in naked. There were a few lawn chairs laid out where some people were reading. They were wrapped in towels too. Why do I have a bad feeling about this?

“Come on, Danny . . .” said my mom yanking on my arm. “This is just one area of the spa.”

Oh great. What other evil acts of torture will I have to endure?

We walked down another hallway into the woman’s locker room. Where woman were undressing and taking showers left and right. Even though I’m a woman, I still had the need to shield my eyes.

My mom walked over to a wall of cabinets that held shampoo and soap along with towels and robes and cheap white flip-flops. She handed me a towel, robe and the foamy sandals then got some for herself and headed over to the lockers.

It kind of felt like the locker rooms at school, only then I knew who I was looking at.

“Mom, do we really need to undress? I mean what’s the point?” My voice was as unstable as my knees were.I’m not usually a wimp, but I am a private person and this is so not my thing.

“Oh . . .Danny, there is nothing to be nervous about. I know this is your first time, so I’m not going to make you get in the mud bath with me, but it is your birthday and you work hard, so you’re going to get a massage if you like it or not, because you will like it.” She smirked.

My mom was already in her robe and I was still in my clothes. I felt embarrassed and people were looking at me. “Here if you’re that uncomfortable, there are dressing rooms back there. Don’t take too long.” I quickly undressed.