Chapter 1: Clementine

Start from the beginning

Last, but not least walking over from the lunch line is Reginald Scott, or as I like to call him Reggie. He’s the smart, dorky one. Got to love him.

I only have four friends out of the whole school. Even though I’m probably the richest here. You think I’d be more popular. Not that I’m not thankful for the friends I have I just wonder why I’m kind of an outsider.

“What’s new home skillet?” Asked Alex wearing her usual ripped jeans, converse and a new Queens band t-shirt she must have gotten at Hot Topic.

“Nothing, as usual.” I figured I’d keep the newspaper-thing to myself, for now.

“Well, I can tell you about something new I did today.” She said looking very proud.

“What did you do? Put a tack on Mr. Harding’s chair?”

“No, please, that is so old school.” Started Carson.

“Tell ‘em babe.” Said Alex.

“We were in the middle of class, taking this test, when all of a sudden noises were coming from Mr. Harding, or so we thought.”

“You didn’t!” I practically yelled.

“I did!” She yelled back. We burst out laughing.

“I still can’t believe you put that farting machine behind Mr. Harding’s desk.” Said Wendy, biting into her apple. “ I mean, do you have to be so mean to Mr. Harding? What did he ever do to you?” She said with her mouth half full. “That prank, by the way, is also very immature.”

“Wendy, you know Mr. Harding is a grouch, besides, it’s in my family blood to be mean to him. I’m the last generation of my family he’ll ever have. I have to make it worth while.”

“I’m just glad I don’t have him.” I said trying to spread cream cheese on a bagel.

“You’re sure quiet today, Regg. How’s your day?” Asked Carson.

“Oh . . . um . . . it’s been okay. Nice prank Alex.” He replied.

‘Thanks Reggie.”

“Why is he so quiet?” I whispered to Carson.

“I think he didn’t like how the guys were treating him in P.E. today.” He whispered back. “He got three strikes in baseball. So, he got pelted with baseballs.”

“How come they did that?” I asked angry.

“Well, you know, Reggie, he’s a push over, and the guys take advantage of him, but don’t worry about old Regg over there, I beat ‘em up for him. Now, although, I don’t think it was worth the two weeks detention I got with Alex.”

“Oh, the detention?”

“No, Alex. I mean, I love her, but she’s crazy.” I giggled under my breath.

“I heard that.” She interrupted our whispering session with a much louder whisper of her own.

I set the bagel down. I wasn’t very hungry. I don’t know why. I just wasn’t.

“Are you gonna eat that?” Asked Alex. I looked at it for a second.

“No.” She took it onto her own plate.

I looked around at all my friends. They were all teenagers. All with hormones raging. All with lives. But they were all different.

And out of all these unique individuals, I felt out of place.

I’m no cool, brave Alex. I’m no Laid-back Carson. I’m not even a push over Reggie. I’m just plain boring. There’s nothing about me that makes me different from everyone else. I’m just another grain in the sand. I get straight A’s, or at least I used too, because my parents make me. I have no free time to have a hobby. I feel like an assistant to my parents instead of their child. I just want to do something fun. Shake things up. Do something unusual. Anything out of the ordinary.