Chapter 17

Emma's eyes felt heavy and the one side of her face was in excruciating pain. She looked around and could see smoke above her. She tried to move her head but the pain was unbearable.

"Liam..." she called out followed by a cough. "Peter."

Emma was sure she could hear movement but she could not see anyone . Her vision became blurry when she saw a figure above her. She then felt arms picking her up.

She looked up at the figure's face.
"Jay?" She choked.

"Shhh. You're okay now." Jay said.

Emma gave a small smile and buried her face in his chest.

*

Emma slowly came to. She felt tired and her body ached in certain places. She saw her father talking to a doctor and she was in a light blue painted hospital room.

"Dad..." she called out.

"Emma! You're awake! How are you feeling?" Martin asked as he sped to his daughter's side.

The doctor also walked to Emma and shined a light into her eyes. The blinding light of the doctor made her remember why she was in the hospital.
"Someone drove into the deli!" She said hysterically.

"We know." Martin confirmed.

"Oh my god! Liam! Peter!" Emma exclaimed.

"Sweetheart, calm down. Liam is okay, just a few cuts and bruises." Martin said.

Emma let out a sigh of relief.
"What about Peter?" She asked.

Martin gulped visibly.
"He had some internal bleeding and needed immediate surgery. That coupled with smoke inhalation, there were a few complications. His parents flew him to McCollumford Hospital. They have a doctor friend over there."

Emma felt her eyes well with tears.

"He will be fine." Marin promised.

There was a knock on the door and Liam walked in. He had a few cuts on the side of his face.
He walked over and hugged Emma who sobbed into him.
She still was unclear of what happened.

"Wait, the driver of the car. Is he okay?" She asked as she broke the hug.

Martin and Liam shared a look.

"They didn't find anyone in the car... but there was a brick on the accelerator pad." Martin explained.

"A brick?" Emma asked looking between her father and Liam.

Liam nodded.
"Someone intentionally made the car crash into the deli."

"We will get to the bottom of this." Martin said. "But we are sure that somebody else was there."

"I saw someone help you and Peter our while I was trying to find my own way out." Liam explained.

"That's weird, someone saved us and just left?" Emma asked. That was the least of her worries though.
She felt sick trying to figure out why would anyone want to target her family's business?

*

Since it was still morning time and a weekday, Emma did not have any visitors. Everyone was at school. Her phone broke in the crash so she was waiting to get a new one.

Emma looked at herself in the bathroom mirror. She had a 3 cm stitched wound on her scalp just above her right temple. Her arms and legs had a few bruises caused by the debris from the deli.
It all still felt like a terrible dream.

She walked out of the bathroom and to her hospital room. A gasp left her mouth and she placed a hand on her chest.
"Holy shit, Jay. You scared me." She said.