Chapter 10

As Emma expected, the Hastings party was not crowded, it was indeed a private party. Most of the attendees where Summerville's wealthiest families.

Emma's hair was in a messy updo and she wore a long black spaghetti strap dress. She occasionally sipped on her non alcoholic champagne with a strawberry in it while she looked at the Hastings family photo wall.
She noticed that Mr Hastings did not have any strong genes because all of his five children resembled their mother. None of them had his silver hair.
This made Adelaide's story more believable. The black girl with the white father.

Emma looked at Adelaide's photos. Her beauty was undeniable and she had a beautiful smile that could light up an entire town.
Emma could not help the small smile that appeared on her own lips. Most of the photos were of Adelaide with her mother alone and if Emma was being honest, she was a little envious. It seemed Adelaide and her mom were the best of friends.
Emma noticed a series of photos that were the same but seemed to have been taken through different timelines.
Adelaide hugged her mother while she was being kissed on the forehead.

"My mother insists on taking photos every year on the first day of school. I honestly thought I would've outgrown it by 5th grade but it became my favorite thing." Adelaide said.

Emma didn't even notice her standing behind her.
She took a few steps away from the photographs feelings a little embarrassed for staring at them.

"Well, they are beautiful photos." Emma complimented truthfully. She liked nothing about Adelaide but she was mature enough to be cordial.

"Can you believe she decided to stay back home and send me here, saying no to all this luxury." Adelaide stated. "What a bitch."

Emma nearly let out a gasp. She was ready to walk away.
"That is not really a nice thing to say." She muttered.

"Nor is it nice to give your kid and ultimatum to choose between her mother and father. I get it, she was a side chick and all but why must she project her embarrassment on to me." Adelaide sneered.

Emma was confused, Adelaide was quite the character.
"You're somehow mad at your mom but you hung the photos with her?" She asked. They way Adelaide spoke of her mom, one would think she wanted nothing to do with her.

Adelaide chuckled.
"She is still my mother, whether I hate her or not... she is till the woman who provided a lot of me." There was a slight pause. "Ugh, what am I even doing talking to you? Shouldn't you be over there with your twin bestie and his weird recovering drug addict friend?"

Emma felt her blood boil instantly and nearly tackled Adelaide for the things she just said.
"Go to hell, Adelaide."

Emma walked away and to the table Jay and Ethan were sitting. She took a deep breath to defuse her anger than took a seat. The event was being held on the backyard patio of the Hastings house.

"I saw you and Adelaide talking, dare I say budding friendship?" Jay asked.

Emma scoffed. If only he heard the things she was saying.
For a split second, Emma related to Adelaide because they both had negative feelings towards their mothers but Adelaide was lucky enough to be able to speak to her mother and get an explanation for her actions, where as Emma could not.
"Subject change please?" She begged. "How did it go with Connor?"

"Uhhm, it went okay. His dad seems like a good guy... he asked Connor to move in with him." Jay stated.

"And is he gonna?" Emma asked.

"He already did. Left him packing." Jay said nonchalantly.

"I'm hungry so I will see if I can find some food around here that is not finger foods." Ethan said, getting up and walking off.