Chapter 7

Emma let out a shaky breath as she stood and waited in front of Marcus's front door. He did not deserve to be brushed off like that last night. He was her boyfriend and deserved to be treated better than that.
The door opened and Marcus stood there, no emotion visible on his face.

"Hi." Emma said in a soft tone. "Can I come in?"
Marcus nodded and stepped away from the door to let her in.

"I am really sorry about what happened last night. Liam came over, I told him about my feelings and he was upset. I did not have it in me to send him away in his state. I know I was wrong because you are my boyfriend and we just started dating but please don't let last night be the reason we break up. I don't want to break up." Emma spoke quickly, fear and anxiety getting the best of her.

Marcus did not say anything for a few seconds.
"I don't want to break up either." He started. "But last night really hurt me."

"I know, and I'm really sorry." Emma apologized and pouted her lips, earning a small smile from her boyfriend.
"Oh come here." He said with a big smile and open arms.
Emma took no time running into his arms. His musky cologne invaded her nostrils and she felt instant comfort.

"I can't stay mad at you." Marcus breathed and rested his chin on top of Emma's head. His words made her smile.

"So I have been thinking..." Emma started. While driving to Marcus, she was battling with a decision regarding their relationship.
"What is it?" Marcus asked as he broke the hug.

"I... I don't want to keep us a secret anymore." Emma confessed. "Who gives a shit what anyone says? This is our relationship. Not theirs."

A small smile played on Marcus's lips. "Are you sure?" He asked.
Emma nodded. She was done with hiding. She was not sure how Liam would take this and she should've told him that she was dating but at least he knew that Emma had feelings for Marcus.

"Okay." Marcus said. He gave Emma a kiss on the lips. She felt herself melt. This was something she was not going to get tired of.

***

Marcus was seated by the stairs in front of the school when Emma got there. They were going to walk in together hand in hand.
Emma was a little bit nervous but this was something she wanted to do. She could not spend her last few months in school tiptoeing around her peers and prioritizing their peace of mind instead of her own.
"Lets do this." She said as she entwined her fingers with Marcus's.
The students that were outside watched them with wide eyes and mouths agape.
Emma did not like being the center of attention and this was going to be the opposite of that. She was going to shut out the noise to cope.

Jay was standing by his locker and his eyebrows came together in confusion when his eyes met with Emma's. She and Marcus made their way to him.

"Hi." Emma sang.
"Hey dude." Marcus said.

"Uhm.. Hey." Jay greeted back, his eyebrows still furrowed.

Emma looked at Marcus and placed a quick soft kiss on his lips. "I quickly have to talk to Jay, I'll see you later?"
Marcus nodded. He said goodbye to Jay and walked off.

"You and Marcus?" Jay asked.

Emma smiled warmly and nodded.

"So Liam was not being dramatic? You and Marcus were a thing?" Jay questioned.

Emma shook her head quickly. "Of course not! When Liam and I were together, nothing happened with Marcus. I did have feelings for him but I never acted on them."

"I see." Jay simply stated. "As your best friend, you could've at least told me that."

Emma gave him a small smile. She did not mention any of this to Jay because the thought of him possibly having feelings for her still lingered in the back of her mind.
"I was embarrassed." She lied. She then cleared her throat to refocus her attention on what she wanted to talk about.
"You gave up your family's place on the founder's council?" She asked. "Why would you do that?"
She never got a chance to address the issue. Jay did not show up at his house until Emma left. She was still pretty annoyed with him.