Chapter 4

The following day, as soon as Emma got to school, she walked to the sign up sheet for Extracurricular Week. Since it was going to be in two weeks, late students had to sign up now to prepare for it.

She was not interested in any of the activities but she was still curious to see what was offered. Joining an an activity would mean staying after school to practice and that sounded dreadful to her.
Emma's eyes grew a little wide when she saw Jay's name on the theatre sign up sheet. Yesterday, it seemed like he was not interested but apparently that wasn't the case anymore.

Emma's phone dinged and she looked at its screen. It was text from Marcus telling her he was thinking of her. She started smiling to herself instantly. She still could not believe Marcus was her boyfriend.

"Thinking of signing up?" She heard a male voice ask. The voice had an English accent.

Peter was standing next to her.
Emma quickly locked her phone and tucked it into her school bag. "I don't think so. You?"

"I already did yesterday, for the science fair." Peter informed. "I'm going to make a heart."

"Wow." Emma said genuinely impressed.
"What about soccer?" She asked.

"I'm doing that too. There is no goalkeeper in this school that is better than me." Peter bragged.

Emma looked at him, and let out a chuckle, then silence fell between her and Peter as their eyes focused back on the sign up sheet.

"Connor really fucked up with what he did to Jay and you. Why would he even do that?" Peter asked, hurt evident in his tone.

Emma let out a shaky breath.
"Jay and Connor's friendship was not what it seemed. There was some resentment between them. They both hurt each other." She explained.

"I guess Jay punching Connor in the parking lot makes sense now.. and we all turned our backs on Jay after that. Fuck." Peter expressed. "And him blackmailing you with your mom's stuff. That was low."

Emma hated that narrative so much. She wanted to scream and shout that Connor never blackmailed her. She had to do damage control somehow.
"Look, I forgave Connor okay. When I found out that he was working with Ray and confronted him about it, he was scared... and like a wounded animal, he hurt me when I tried to help." She said making up some analogy that she hoped would get her message across.
"And for the most part, he helped Jay and I try to catch Ray. That has to count for something, right?"

Peter remained quiet for a few seconds.
"You are a great person, Em. I can see why Marcus is into you."

Emma blushed a little but looked away to try and hide it.

"I saw you two last night." Peter confessed, causing Emma's eyes to grow wide in shock.

"What?" She asked in a panic.

"Yeah. I was driving to his place and I saw the two of you getting into your car. So you two are sneaking around at night?" Peter asked.

"Shhh." Emma hushed. "You cannot tell anyone okay? I know how it looks but we don't want anyone involved in our stuff."

"I wasn't going to say anything to anyone. I'm not a gossiper." Peter said.

"Sorry." Emma apologized. She felt a little guilty for insinuating Peter would blab.
"What were you doing at his house anyways?"

"I ripped my pants earlier yesterday and since Grandma Williams does sewing, I wanted her to stitch my pants. I knocked at the door but no one answered." Peter stated.

Emma gulped. She was not sure how to evade this situation. She really wanted Marcus to tell his friends that his grandmother passed on weeks ago.

"In fact, my mom says she has not seen her at church for quite some time now." Peter continued.