"I know it was a complex situation. But you could've explained." Grandpa yelled.

"How about I didn't have time? I would probably have been dead if I sat and explained it. Tell me Oliver, would you believe that without any proof? This truth had implications. It was going to change everything for all of us. I needed time until I found a solid proof. Besides, there was another reason to not say it to you directly."

"And what would that be?" Oliver spat.

"Him." Alli pointed a finger at Rafael.

Oh! Of course.

"You knew about his fake deal with Nikolai." I said. "But how?"

"I always had an eye on Oliver and for that matter, all of them. Here's where Caleb came in handy. He was so crazy for you that he spilled all his secrets. He told me he's a spy and I used it to my advantage. So that's why I kept giving clues to Oliver because if he found it by himself, then I won't need proof."

This is so much information to process. I'm having a hard time piece it all together.

"I did some research and found out about Mrs White. Apparently she didn't know about you either. All she had were some scattered pieces. But that was all I could find. So I planted that clue in Oliver's room." Mason continued.

"But still Mase. I could've been executed."

"Oh no, I knew Rafael wouldn't kill you." He said with utmost confidence.

"You sound very sure." I raised an inquisitive brow.

Alli scoffed. "Whose feelings would he play with if he killed you? Am I right, Mr Grayson?"

He opened his mouth to speak but got interrupted by Oliver. "It will take me less than five seconds to throw you out if you don't control your crappy mouth."

"I'm sorry I don't talk to broken condoms." She waved a hand dismissively.

"Oh burn!" Liam remarked.

They sure have some serious issues. I'll have to find out what.

"You and you are seriously dumbasses when it comes to love." Mason pointed a finger at grandpa and me. "Even the guards in this house knew their boss has got hots for this hostage."

Rafael, Oliver and I looked away awkwardly. I felt a blush creep up my face. I buried my head in my hands as a cover up and diverted my mind to piecing it together.

"Did you ever plan to come back? Or-"

"I dare you to complete that kiddo." He crossed his arms. "I thought my painting made it clear."

"I kept waiting for you, Mason. They were all very nice to me but I was still scared. I was kept in such a safe environment by you, rarely even talking to anyone apart from you and Caleb. And then one day you let me get kidnapped by four criminals." The feeling still creeps me out.

"But you were at least alive." He said poignantly.

"What was the meaning of that cryptic painting anyway?" Rafael asked.

Mason snorted. "There was no meaning. It was just to keep you fools busy, to keep you thinking I'm a spy. Otherwise she'd be useless and you'd let her go."

An awkward silence settled in the room. I think they were afraid to sound dumb if they said anything for that matter.

I on the other hand was feeling proud of him. Angry, yes. But proud nonetheless.

"Can I be your student?" Toby raised his hand.

The other three glared at him.

"Traitor." Liam punched him lightly.