Chapter 38: Ichijo

[Rai's Pov]

"Ah, a-about that. How did you know?" Ichijo asked and I closed my eyes, shaking my head.

"Let's just say someone told me about it. Now tell me, what's with the broken AE86?" I asked and he cleared up his throat before glaring at me. "I ordered a Gang to get rid of Aki's AE86, but turns out that the Bosozoku Gang destroyed the wrong AE86. It was to make my friend shut his mouth up. He's been bragging about making a revenge on Aki for putting his friend in prison."

I titled my head, curious as to what this is all about. "A friend in prison? Aki did that? How?"

"His friend wants to take care of a Pokemon. He told me that his friend wants an attention, someone to care for them. They've been lonely for too long in their life, and wants a Pokemon to take care of them. I guess I can say his friend tried to get a Pokemon in the wrong way, desperate for some attention and care. When Aikawa knew that his friend got in jail over taking care of Aki, he got mad at Aki. That's when this whole chaos began. It's no coincidence that someone called me about the arrival of some street racers wanting to battle us, and those street racers are you. I have a feeling that this has been planned." He then smirked and popped his knuckles.

"Someone called the Bosozoku Gang and paid them to reveal us ordering them to destroy the AE86. Then they got my phone number from the Bosozoku Gang, resulting to the battle we're having right now. What's with the AE86 anyway that you have to come face us?" Ichijo asked and I looked down, placing my paw on my chin as I think.

"Well, Ryo did own an AE86. He's driving an S15 because his AE86 was in repair over some serious damage. It's no coincidence that his AE86 broke down at the same time when the Bosozoku Gang ruined the wrong AE86." His eyes widened and he lowered his head with his hand on his forehead, his eyes closed.

"Now I feel bad. If I win against Ryo, I'll be walking away from this mess like nothing even happened. If I lose, I'll get his car fixed. Is that good enough?" I'm not supposed to be the one making decisions at this, but I'm the only one here able to decide for the racing team of Ryo and Aki.

"Sure."

Then out of nowhere, the AE86 Levin and the CP9A returned. Aki stepped out of his car and announces that he won the battle against Aikawa. Ryo and Ichijo is next, and this is going to be a fun battle. Ryo hopped in his S15 while Ichijo went in his CP9A. Ichijo went for the lead and Ryo went for the chase, whoever reaches the finish line first wins. I stepped close to Ryo's S15 and knocked on his window. He pulled the window down and I cleared my throat before glancing at the CP9A and looking back at Ryo.

"Based on my knowledge from their previous battles, Ichijo is bad at braking. Use the corners to your advantage. You could use the road barrier method to your advantage, but I doubt it'll be enough. If I'm correct, Ichijo ordered someone to spill oil on the same corner from their Project D battle. Use your driver's eye immediately after the first section before the oiled corner. Your driver's eye will only save you from this one."

[Ryo's Pov]

I nodded and looked at the CP9A in front. I remember what my trainer last night told me before we headed back home.

"If I'm correct, that's the... Driver's eye you used earlier, correct?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Hmmm... I believe you can be better than that. I want you to train yourself to be one with the driver's eye."

"But I'm already one with the driver's eye."

"No, you're using the driver's eye to aid you in your battle. I want you to be one with it. I want you to rely on your skills than your driver's eye. Use what I taught you before. If you can be better without the driver's eye, then I can prove to you that you're better than your driver's eye."

I can be better than my driver's eye? My trainer is telling me that I shouldn't use my driver's eye, and that I should rely with what he taught me. If I can be better without it, then I am better than it. Rai backed away and stepped on the front where he began the countdown.

"5!" Alright, I shouldn't worry too much.

"4!" This will be the first race without my driver's eye.

"3!" Surely it won't hurt without the driver's eye.

"2!" I pressed hard on the gas, revving the engine.

"1!"

"Go!"

I quickly shifted gears and pressed hard on the gas, accelerating the S15 as the CP9A in front of me does the same.

[Ichijo's Pov]

I smirked as I glanced at the AE86 behind me, turning right and approaching the first hairpin of the course. He probably doesn't know that I ordered someone to spill some oil on the road on one of the corners. We get there and he'll spin out in no time. Watch me Ryo, I'll win this round! Approaching the hairpin, I braked hard and drifted into the hairpin.

[Ryo's Pov]

Like Rai mentioned, his braking isn't good. Let's use this to my advantage! I braked a bit late before shifting gears and drifted into the hairpin, closing the gap a bit between the CP9A and my S15. Now that I'm a little closer to him, I can watch how he brakes on some corners. I noticed that he brakes hard on some corners. Let's do this! Approaching another hairpin, I braked as the CP9A in front did the same, drifting into the hairpin. I can overtake him at anytime now, but I have to choose the perfect opportunity to overtake him.

[Ichijo's Pov]

Leaving the second hairpin, I noticed that the S15 behind me got closer. Am I braking a little too hard? Let's try to change it a bit. Approaching another hairpin, I braked a little and began to drift the car into the hairpin, gaining a bit of distance away from the S15. I've learned a bit from my battle against Project D, and I'll use this knowledge against Ryo! I pressed hard on the gas as I leave the hairpin, braking less on the turns before the oiled corner.

[Ryo's Pov]

Did he got faster? He's braking less! I need to do something before the forbidden corner, otherwise I'll lose!

"I want you to rely on your skills than your driver's eye. Use what I taught you before." My trainer's words echoed in my head as I watch the CP9A in front of me pulling away. I need to use what my trainer taught me before. Does Ichijo only care about pulling away and monitoring his braking skills?

I immediately turned off my headlights as the CP9A continue to pull away. I pressed hard on the gas and shifted my gears to catch up on the CP9A in front of me. To my surprise, the car felt faster than before. Was it because of the 'engine upgrade' made by Mr. Joshima? No, it's not just the engine. I can feel turbo with the engine!

[Ichijo's Pov]

The S15 disappeared from my rear view mirror. This is it! This is the hairpin! I can definitely feel the victory being mine! I can feel- Eh?! Then all of a sudden, I saw lights shining from my rear view mirror, it's the S15! How did he got to me so quickly?! Shimata! The oiled corner! I panicked, braking hard to avoid the oiled corner, but it was too late. I went into the corner inner lane too much from the distraction of the S15, making my front tires lose grip and slide into the outer lane.

[Ryo's Pov]

This is it! I pressed on the gas and overtook the CP9A on the oiled corner, exiting the forbidden corner on the lead with the CP9A behind me. Now to remain on the lead without using my driver's eye. I pressed hard on the gas, gaining distance away from the CP9A as I attack the corners fast after realizing that I have a turbocharger with the S15.

I won!