Chapter 28 - It'll Be Soon

Whoops! I accidentally posted the chapter without giving you guys a little author's note! Recently a video on my Tiktok account, hoppinggoosemr blew up and I have a ton of new followers. I'll be doing lives on that tiktok account where I'll answer questions about this fanfic and about reality shifting. Please check out the account, and I hope you like this new chapter!

I carried the pitiful bundle of clothes and other necessities down the road towards the stables. It carried everything I owned besides the dress.

That goddamned dress.

After that night by the river, I tore it off when I got back to my room. Even though it was my only dress, I ripped it apart piece by piece. It wasn't aggressive, but rather an act of desperation. But, when I did it, tears swelled in my eyes as the need to rid myself of my mistakes stirred within me.

Suddenly, I heard a zipping sound to my left, taking me away from my reminiscing only for a moment. It was a familiar sound that I knew all too well. Someone was using ODM gear. My curiosity was telling me to go towards the sound, while my reasoning told me to get to the Levi Squad headquarters and meet Hange as soon as possible. But, I remembered something.

The last time I followed Reiner and Bertholdt as they chased Marco, he died. The half of his corpse had the outline of giant bite marks, so I knew it was a Titan who did it after all. Even so, maybe if I had gotten there faster without hesitation, I could've seen with my own eyes and prevented his death. In the end I realized my curiosity and reasoning came together hand in hand.

I ran in the direction of the sound as quickly as I could. I could see a slim figure zipping across some buildings. Civilians wouldn't bat an eye if a soldier was zipping around on ODM gear late at night, but I knew better. Dinner was being served in the mess hall. No soldier would be on duty as of now, and no soldier would ignore the grumblings of their stomach after a hard day's work.

I stopped when I heard the thud of boots slamming on the ground in a nearby alleyway. I crept behind the corner of its entry, unseen by whoever was there. Carefully, I peeped my head out quickly from the corner to get an idea of who it could be.

It was a feminine figure with light blonde hair tied back. I could see the flash of red on her uniform as I moved my head back behind the wall.

Blood.

The sound of heavy footsteps came nearer on the other side of the alley. I listened carefully until I could hear them stop around where the first set of boots had landed.

"Did you get it done?" A low and husky voice asked. I knew this voice. I knew it all too well.

Reiner.

"I did." A cold voice responded. "Unfortunately, it was a bit messy though."

Annie.

"Good, then hopefully there won't be any more interferences." This voice was serious, but there was still that same level of uncertainty that was always present when he spoke.

Bertholdt.

"Did you happen to find out anything about Eren while you were there?" Reiner asked sternly. Do you know where he's been taken?" It hurt to hear his voice. I loved his voice. It was low, and sent chills down my spine almost every time he uttered a word. I knew something important was being discussed, but I couldn't help but think about him.

"No, there was nothing." Annie retorted. "Just those two dumb Titans." I furrowed my brow. The only two Titan's I could think of were Sawney and Bean. They were precious to Hange. Had she done something to them?