Chapter 7 - The Chill and The Warmth

Eren, Bertholdt, and Armin looked at Reiner and I with the most perplexed expressions. Both of us sat there, completely stiff and red cheeked, which seemed to make the others jump quick to discussion.

"So Eren," Bertholdt began, "what was it you wanted to ask?" He seemed especially keen to change the subject from Reiner and I. He stared at me intensely with a hint of distrust in his eyes. After a time, he looked back at Eren who was beginning to make his case.

"I want you two to show me how to balance myself on the ODM gear. I can't seem to stay upright, no matter how much I try." Eren looked at Reiner and Bertholdt desperately. Reiner crossed his arms, his blushing expression had faded as more serious matters were in the air. He looked at Bertholdt for a moment and then back at Eren.

"Listen, I don't think we'd be the best people to ask," Reiner started. "It's not like we really have a definite strategy to keep balance. Besides, most of us are trying to climb higher and higher as cadets until we make it to the top. Can we really afford to let others surpass us?" His regular look of stern resolve was back on him. It made sense Reiner would want to be at the top of the class, but was there really a need to prevent others from trying? Eren's same look of desperation crept upon him and the moisture returned to his cheek.

"Please! I've heard you two are really good! Bertholdt... Reiner!" He almost seemed at the point of breaking. Bertholdt looked at him sympathetically as Reiner furrowed his brow.

"Sorry, but I can't imagine any trick to just hanging there. I don't think I can give you the advice you're looking for." Reiner frowned, as even he began to sympathetically look at Eren. It was almost as though he wanted to help, but something was telling him he shouldn't. It was similar to what had happened between us in the mess hall that morning. He wants to... but he can't.

"We'll just have to hope for the best tomorrow..." Armin looked to Eren reassuringly. Realizing it was most likely hopeless, the two of them began to get up. I looked at Reiner pleadingly, using only my eyes to ask him to help Eren. Reiner then turned to Bertholdt with a look that they both mutually understood.

"You three are from Shiganshina, aren't you?" Bertholdt asked and we nodded. "Then you should know how terrifying the Titans are." The three of us looked at each other, the memories of that day most likely flooding into our minds. "Why did you decide to become a soldier?" Bertholdt questioned. Armin claimed the operation to retake wall Maria had been what inspired him. As I stared at my lap, I thought otherwise.

"Though they were terrifying, it seemed as though something had to be done," I said solemnly. "It affected us all differently, and I feel that I should be filled with terror or rage, but instead I'm filled with curiosity." I looked up at Bertholdt and Reiner. "Why did the Titans come that day? Why did they do what they did?" Reiner and Bertholdt looked at each other. "I feel as though the only way I can get close enough to find out, is if I become a soldier. There must be secrets that lie on the battlefield waiting to be noticed." My fist clenched at the thought of grasping the truth, and Reiner seemed to notice.

"Do you really think there's something more besides dumb Titans who just want to kill?" Reiner asked me. "If you ever found out there were something more, what would you do once you learned that truth... if it even exists?" His eyes searched for my answer before I could speak. His gaze fell upon me like a shadow.

"It depends," I said as Reiner and I locked eyes. We both seemed to have our fists clenched to shield our true intentions from the light.

"I see." Bertholdt exclaimed. The thought of Shiganshina placed a droplet of sweat on each of our faces, perhaps for different reasons.