Chapter 1 - The Cadets

~About 2 years later~

Commander Sadies walked up and down the line of new cadets, striking fear into their hearts. I'll admit, he was intimidating, but he didn't scare me as much as he scared the others. The first cadet he yelled at was named Armin Arlert. He was small, scrawny and honestly didn't seem like much of a fighter, but his intentions were true and pure. Yet, his determination couldn't make up for his anxiety. I observed sweat dripping down his face and his voice quivering as he gave his reasons for joining the cadets. "To help humanity overcome the Titans!" he said while shaking nervously.

Something was so familiar about Armin, but what was it? I then realized; he was on the boat the day Wall Maria was breached. He was with the brown haired kid who was shouting off the edge of the boat. Is he here too? I wondered.

As I looked around, he was standing in formation along with everyone else, but compared to the others, his face was most determined and filled with hatred. It was the same look he wore on the boat that day. 

The black haired girl who had been wearing the red scarf that day was there too. She was taller and gorgeous. She looked different from the other cadets... her skin had a feature to it that I can't quite describe. It gave her a sort of elegance that no one else possessed. In fact, I had never seen skin like that before. Why I hadn't noticed that previously?

Scanning the premises, the other cadets had also caught my eye. After Armin was shouted at, next was a taller guy named Jean Kirstein. It seemed he was already motivated to join the military police. I liked that. I've always admired people who knew what they wanted to do with themselves, not to mention he was extremely handsome. Though he was an open book, it was apparent he had arrogant qualities.

Next, in the line up, after Jean, was Marco Bodt. He claimed to be joining the cadets in order to serve the king. His statement left Commander Sadies displeased all the same. After Marco, commander Sadies proceeded to target his anger at a cadet named Connie Springer. Strangely, the commander grabbed Connie's semi-bald head. He lifted Connie off the ground with both of his hands, looking straight at him and shouted, "cue-ball."

After that strange incident, everyone turned. A girl had been taking a bite out of a steamed potato while standing in formation. She stated her name was Sasha Braus. I had never seen someone eat a potato so eagerly. I mean, a potato of all things and during a military line up! As commander Sadies began to scold her, I honestly couldn't help myself. I began to snicker, and my snicker turned into a burst of laughter.

My laugh had always been loud, and it came to my attention that everyone had turned their gaze to me. I stopped laughing.

Oh shit, I thought.

The commander made his way over to me, making me quickly realize it was now my turn.

"Do you think that's funny cadet?" He began. I figured the best way to answer was truthfully and to show the commander I wasn't scared. Although, I was extremely embarrassed.

My words flowed confidently, "Yes sir. I find it ridiculous that a cadet was eating a potato on the first day of training. Though I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't think of something so attention grabbing as that myself." He raised an eyebrow at me menacingly. He was obviously searching for something to say in return to my sly remark. Something intimidating.

"Attention grabbing? So you like attention, do you?" Commander Sadies mocked me, but it was true.

"Yes sir. I believe our training should be memorable. I sure as hell will remember 'potato girl' over there, and I would like to be remembered too sir. Just in case anything should happen to me," I smirked. It was important to be remembered. If a day came where a Titan would come out of nowhere and eat me, I wanted to be known amongst my comrades as a free spirit. I wouldn't let myself fade into the background.

Sadies looked at me shocked, yet pleased. "Well then cadet! What is your name?"

"[Y/N] [L/N] sir!" Sadies looked at me and grinned. "Well [L/N], if 'potato girl' is so memorable, then how her insolence is rewarded will also be memorable. I'm sure you'll agree. Sasha Braus, you are to run around the camp without any food or water until sunset and that is final! Any objections?" He did not wait for a reply. "Good," and he walked away. I was gladdened not to be potato girl.

I was one of the only cadets drilled who received the slightest amount of approval from commander Sadies, and because of this, all eyes were on me.

As Sadies continued walking amongst the cadets, a guy around six feet tall, with a muscular build, caught my eye. He stared at me, his face stern and filled with resolve. Hadn't I seen this look before? I thought. Even though I was staring back, he didn't remove his eyes from me. He was just... staring.

There was something about him that intrigued me. As our eyes locked, I noticed his sharp facial features under his short blonde hair. He didn't seem like the type of guy I'd take an interest in, yet he interested me all the same.

After a long moment of staring, he looked me up and down and then looked away. It was as though he was examining me through and through, trying to figure me out. Little did he know, I was the one trying to figure him out.

I couldn't help but grin. Though the Titans were a looming threat, I could tell my time in the cadets and as a soldier was going to be... well... interesting.

I hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter! As the chapters progress, they'll get a bit longer and there will be more Reiner! Most of the chapters were written in advance with a large time gap, so the writing style may change a bit as you go. I'd love to hear any feedback, and remember, keep reading! <3