Chapter 36: Losing Control

"I have something for you," he murmured against her mouth a few lovely moments later.

She drew away from him. "You do?"

"Mmm. Just a small token of my devotion to you." He lifted his hand and opened it.

She gasped as she gazed down at the deep violet and ivory jade ring.

"I'd like you to wear it." He held the white band up for her perusal. In its center was a huge, stunningly vibrant amethyst.

"Oh, Yeo Wool! It's beautiful!" she breathed. "I don't usually wear jewelry."

He snickered. "I've noticed. I used to be more elaborately bedecked than I have ever seen you."

She peeked up at him. "You love to dress up."

"I do," he admitted ruefully. "You can blame my older sisters for always dressing me like a little doll when I was tiny. I loved the attention they lavished on me."

She snickered. "Yeo Wool!"

"What?" His gorgeous eyes grew wide. "It's true."

"Then why on earth would you ever be happy with me?"

"What?" He crumpled his brow in confusion.

"I have never lavished you with compliments. Or attention."

"Hmm. That's true. What am I thinking?" he mumbled quietly to himself.

"Hey!" she burst out, slapping him playfully on the shoulder.

"That's more like it," he grinned.

"What?"

"My sister smacks me on the arm. Just like that." He was still smiling down at her. The light of his pleasure in her undeniable.

"It's okay," he murmured. "Since joining the hwarang, I've become accustomed to being ignored. I can handle your lack of attention."

"Can you really?" she uttered questioningly as she gazed up at his handsome countenance. "Or perhaps I can become a little more adept at paying you some attention."

"Can you?" He quirked one dark eyebrow at her. "What did you have in mind?"

"Hmm. Let me see...."

She raised her face to his again.

After a sweet kiss, he drew back. "I think, Sam Sook, for someone who protested so much, you really enjoy my kisses."

"I do." A thundercloud settled on her brow. "But that's the easy part. It's the other that's more complicated." She glanced at the bed.

"Let's just leave it then," he mumbled.

"What?" Her eyes tangled with his.

"I told you, Sam Sook. And I meant it. You'll get no pressure from me. We will only do in that bed what you're comfortable with. You're in control."

"Am I?" she murmured as the echoes clanged. "I have never been in control."

"Well, you are with me."

Such an assurance simply introduced another question. What would happen if she lost control?