Chapter 20: Nothing Hidden Remains So

"Se Ri?" Bo A breathed out in concern as she came upon her silent friend. Weeping in a corner of her room. She knelt next to the younger girl. "What's wrong?"

The child shook her head and used the back of her hand to wipe the tears ruthlessly off her face. "Nothing." But she couldn't still her shaking.

"No," Bo A countered, "this is not nothing."

She studied her friend's demeanor and the rigid way she held herself. And she instantly recognized the signs. Knowing for certain that her worst suspicions had just been confirmed. "Someone is abusing you, isn't he?"

Alarmed, Se Ri gasped as her eyes flew to Bo A's face. Was it that obvious? Could people tell just by looking at her?

She glanced down at her body. Looking for evidence. Marks that would announce to the world that she was free for the taking. But she saw nothing.

Was this why it kept happening to her? Was there some fatal flaw in her design that simply invited those of the opposite gender to peruse her person without her permission?

"Se Ri," Bo A whispered, glancing around. "Who is it? I shall see to it that Oppa Soo Ho flays him alive."

Her gaze now flew to her fierce friend's face. Se Ri was thankful for this girl, but she didn't want anyone to know. Soo Ho would never flay one of his own friends. He would simply become cognizant of her fatal flaw. And turn on her too. It was what always happened.

She'd tried to tell the elder of her brothers about the abuse last year. Only, he had done nothing to protect her. Instead, he had cornered her himself one day. And done worse things to her than the younger boy had ever done. She cringed as she recalled them. Thankfully, in the case of that young man, he'd been called away shortly thereafter. She hadn't seen him since. So he'd had only the one chance to abuse her.

First, a boy had touched her. Then an adolescent on the cusp of manhood. But now, it was so much worse. She was completely powerless. This man was over a decade older than her and ensconced in her grandmother's household. He held a position of power among the servants. He could go wherever he wanted whenever he wanted. And he kept seeking out her company.

She glanced down at her shaking hands. She couldn't seem to still them. No matter what she did.

"I'm fine," she claimed, but she couldn't stop her teeth from rattling.

Last night had been just awful. She had hidden in her room all day. She was fairly sure she was safe from him now. He had never visited her during the day.

She'd told her mother that she didn't feel well and had stayed home from school. Hoping to avoid Bo A. And her perceptive eyes. Se Ri had known that she wouldn't be able to conceal her pain today. Not from her sweet best friend. And here the girl was, peering down at her with compassion flowing from her gaze and indignation burning in her heart.

"The only way to stop the abuse is to tell someone, Se Ri. I know he must have threatened you. But his threats are empty. The men I know are kind. And more powerful than he. Please tell me. And together we will stop it."

Bo A stared down at her quaking friend. Her heart was breaking right now.

"There's nothing to tell. I just don't feel good today."

"Where are the bruises?" Bo A asked as she examined her friend's body. But everything was covered up. "Please, Se Ri. Tell me."

"I am fine. I will be fine. Once I feel better."

Bo A considered her for a moment. "Would you like to stay at my house tonight?"

"No!" she gasped. She couldn't possibly leave Se Yeon alone.