Prophecies

The next morning, instead of going to breakfast like she usually would, Selene went to the infirmary, with Elma, Ilulu, Kanna, Saikawa, the friendship students, the Vocaloids, Kris, Susie, and Noelle following. The only one missing from the group was Ralsei.

"Hey, where'd Ralsei go?" Gallus inquired. "Is he okay?"

Ilulu shrugged. "Probably asleep. Last night probably scared him, and he's trying to catch up on lost Zs. I wouldn't worry too much."

Almost as soon as she said this, Ralsei came rushing towards the group, calling out, "Wait for me, guys!"

"What took you so long?!" cried Kris. "We were waiting here forever, dude!"

Ralsei blushed. "Sorry! I just wanted to bring you this study guide I made, since we have a test in a few days." He held out a scroll, and Kris took it and unfurled it, unfortunately only to find out that it was incredibly long, about ten feet.

"Study guides are supposed to be SHORT, Ralsei!" Ilulu facepalmed.

"Sorry!" exclaimed Ralsei meekly.

"Forget about the study guide, guys. Let's just go ask my mom what was going on last night," Selene replied, walking into the infirmary.

"Good morning, dears," Lucoa smiled at the group as they entered. "What can I do for you today?"

"We'd like an explanation of what was happening last night," answered Kris, perching on the edge of an empty bed and picking a tuft of fluffy green cat fur off the striped shirt they were wearing. "Oh, and by the way, Gumi, could you PLEASE stop sitting on clean t-shirts? Seriously. Is that just a cat thing, or are you being mean?"

"It's a cat thing," Gumi shrugged. "Sorry."

"Well, regardless of whether sitting on clean t-shirts is natural cat instinct or just pure unadulterated pettiness, we still need an explanation for whatever the hell just happened last night," interjected Susie.

Lucoa sighed and put down the potion bottle she had been cleaning out. "Well, the thing is, I'm still wondering about what happened, too."

"REALLY?!" Kris exploded. "COME ON! You know everything about this stuff and you don't know THIS?!"

Lucoa smiled slightly. "I'm afraid so. There's only one way the spell could've gone wrong like that, and..." Her smile turned into a frown as she spoke, her brow furrowing in concern and confusion as her voice trailed off.

"What is it?" said Noelle.

"The only way the spell could've gone wrong is..." Lucoa tried to say, but the thought was almost too terrible to comprehend, and she blinked away the tears that were threatening to spill from her eyes.

"What is it, Lucoa? Is it something really bad?" Ralsei asked gently, taking a piece of candy out of his pocket and handing it to her.

"The only way the spell could've gone wrong in that way is if the true love, well...if the true love wasn't actually the true love," Lucoa explained sadly.

Everyone gasped, and Ralsei even fell off the bed upon which he had been sitting and landed face-first on the floor.

"I suspected this for a long time," Lucoa declared. "Recently, Fafnir had been taking more days off from teaching his lessons, and I was curious to find out why, so I borrowed Silverstream's invisibility spellbook and followed him."

"What happen then?" Yona asked.

Lucoa sighed deeply, as if the more she told the tale, the more vividly the memories were brought back, like knives stabbing her mind. "So, I did find out that Fafnir was bringing packages to the hut on the grounds every day, but I still had not figured out why, or what they contained." She gazed out the window at the sky, where the sunny day was already beginning to turn stormy.