Trying Again

As Selene and her friends ate their dinner, Cozy Glow, Jevil, and their minions cackled over their success at an evil dinner party of sorts.

"Well done, Berdly," Galaco giggled, batting her eyelashes. "You did a good job with that spell..."

Berdly blushed, trying to figure out what to say. "Oh, it was really all on the part of Flower and Nox, you know?"

Galaco giggled again. "Don't be so modest! You came up with it, didn't you?"

"Uh, yes, that is indeed correct," Berdly lied.

"Well, then, you're very smart..." Galaco smiled.

"T-thank you," Berdly stuttered.

"Oh, there's Chika!" Galaco said suddenly, turning around. "What's up?"

"Rin and Nox went outside to hunt down some more meat, so our feast will be delayed a bit," Chika responded.

"Oh, that's fine," Galaco said. "I'm not one for feasts anyway. Too much food...don't want to get all ugly and out of shape, you know? Being fat would make my job pretty much 200% harder."

Chika and Galaco both laughed, then proceeded to talk about this and that (Berdly wasn't really paying attention to the conversation; whatever girls talked at this length about was sure to be frivolous and not worth his time, unless, of course, they were gamer girls).

"What's up, Berdster?" Ruby asked, joining Berdly. "You look pretty down in the dumps, my dude."

Berdly sighed. "Firstly, do not refer to me by that nickname, and secondly, it's Galaco."

"What about her?" Ruby inquired.

"She is quite beautiful," Berdly answered. "But she, as Rin noted, has interest in many other boys."

"Eh, well...she'll move on eventually, and then you'll have a chance," Ruby shrugged. "I wouldn't worry too much about it."

"DINNER!" Flower called.

Everyone rushed to their seats, and as they ate, Cozy Glow asked the group, "What shall our newest plan be?"

"We could try the spell again," suggested Nox.

"Bad idea," said Galaco.

"I didn't mean on SUSIE, you moron," Nox rolled her eyes. "I meant on someone else. Someone they'd never suspect. Someone who looks all fluffy and cute but has a jealous side. That would be the best plan."

"I like that plan," Cozy Glow mused. "What about you, Jevil?"

"It's good," Jevil agreed.

"So, we'll start...tomorrow?" Nox said hopefully.

"We can start tonight," Cozy Glow smirked. "Flower, Rin, I want you and Nox to combine your powers to cast the spell over a long distance. I'm guessing it's someone at that school, right, Nox? Your sister, perhaps?"

Nox shook her head. "No."

"Who is it, then?" Cozy Glow demanded.

"We can't do the spell if we don't know who we're supposed to be targeting, Empress," added Flower.

Nox flew over to Cozy Glow, and whispered the name in her ear, and then Cozy Glow whispered it to Rin, and Rin whispered it to Flower, and then Nox led Rin and Flower outside into the courtyard. The three of them, just outside the fortress, cast the spell, and miles away, at the school, its sleeping target knew nothing about what was to come...and neither did the rest of the sleeping adventurers...