Chapter 2 - Ayn

I step into the spring afternoon light, dragging my suitcase behind me, and somewhere in the distance, leaning against a quaint off-roader, I spot the most beautiful female I have ever seen, holding the hand of a tall male.

The girl is about my age, but she is one head taller than me. Her body is beautifully sculpted, probably due to all the running and fighting training, which, I remember from subspecies biology, is a favorite werewolf pastime. She has raven black hair which falls softly down to her shoulders, framing a surprisingly kind face.

Her tall and broad companion has dark blonde hair which is intricately weaved in a thick side braid, uncovering his pierced ears. I brace myself for being repulsed by their smell as I get closer, but none of them reeks. He smells like pine trees and she - like pure honey.

"Ayn, I am Mia, Alpha Xander's daughter."

I freeze when she wraps me in a tight hug, pressing my head into her shoulder. Sybille had reminded me that shifters hug when they meet somebody for the first time and afterward, as a greeting, and that I was expected to partake politely in that custom. When I protested she made me practice with her repeatedly until I swore I will endure that habit without commenting or snarky remarks.

A year. It's only for a year, I tell myself.

I am still relieved when Mia lets go of me, but I am not ready to repeat the experience with her male, to whom I quickly extend my hand.

"Ayn, daughter of Morgane and Ray," I introduce myself formally, but the tall shifter does not take my hint and I get another, much tighter hug which almost lifts me off the ground, as he announces above my head:

"I am Timo, Xander's Beta, and Mia's mate. Nice to meet you, witch girl." When I am back on my feet and away from their bodies, I try to process the shock of being hugged not once but twice and having been called witch girl.

"Where is your green hair?" Mia asks me, eliciting a cynical smile from my side.
"Temporarily gone.." I answer, looking sadly at a strand of dark brown hair that escaped my braid, and then at my fingers, which still have terrible stains from the green walnuts, I had to cut up for the dye.

"It was so cute. You were so cute when you were young. Well, you still are, but back then, when we played together, you were...witch toddler cute."

"I am sorry, I don't remember you at all," I reply honestly. I had many holes in my childhood memories. I had been told that this inability to fully recall events from my past was my spirit's way of healing me from trauma. Funny enough though, I remember a lot of creepy details from the night when my parents were killed, but not of what should have been happy moments, like having spent time with this nice girl.

"That's fine, Ayn. We'll make new memories," she says, as Timo opens the trunk and reaches out to grab my luggage. Conditioned as I am, for males to wait for my permission before touching my belongings, I raise my hand, ready to quickly introduce him to some of my powers. His eyes grow a shade darker, but he steps away from my suitcase, growling his displeasure:

"Maybe you should not use magic...at least for now."

"What?" I exclaim, hauling my belongings into the trunk. Sibylle did not tell me I was supposed to hide my skills or anything. When she made me dye my hair, she said it was so that I could "blend in" easier. In addition, the woman had just pointed out to me how, in the next two years, I am supposed to "practice my craft in the safety of my family". She had also said that these wolf persons would be, for all intents and purposes, "my family". So Timo's request, not to use magic, is very confusing.

"The broader pack doesn't know you are Ray and Morgane's daughter, nor that you have your powers. I think Alpha Xander wants to announce that by himself...in his own time."