Conceal, Don't Feel

Music filled the hall and people twirled each other in time with the rhythm, a simple waltz dance. Dimentio stood in front of the ballroom, a small smile on his face as he simply watched from atop the small platform he was on. Mr.L stood behind Dimentio, rocking back and forth on his heels as he stared down at his feet, fiddling with the small present box in his hands behind his back.

"I can't do it now with Blumiere hovering around..." Mr.L muttered, "But I gotta do something soon..."

The music stopped and Mr.L was snapped out of his daze by everyone clapping. Mr.L quickly clapped along, earning a chuckle from Dimentio, causing the man in green to slightly blush. Everyone in the hall then went about their business, striking up conversations with each other. Mr.L let out a breath of relief, glad that he wasn't stuck with door duty like Marvin was. Dimentio looked over at Mr.L with a small smile.

"Hey," Dimentio said.

Mr.L snapped his head around and was shocked to see that he was talking to him.

"H-hey me?" Mr.L asked, "U-uh, hi..."

Dimentio chuckled some more as Mr.L swore under his breath at how stupid he must have just sounded.

"You look... good," Dimentio told him.

Mr.L smiled and shook his head.

"Well, you look gooder! I mean not that... Bu-but more good!" Mr.L stated.

Dimentio chuckled again and nodded with a smile.

"Thank you, L." Dimentio replied, "So... This is what a party looks like?"

"Huh?" Mr.L asked.

Mr.L followed his gaze to the room filled with people and hummed in response.

"Heh, it's warmer than I thought." Mr.L chuckled, "Never thought I'd see so many shiny outfits, I mean, how many jewels do all these royals need, right?"

Dimentio laughed in response and Mr.L smiled, glad to see that he was enjoying himself. Mr.L took a deep breath as he slipped the small present box out of his pocket.

"It's now or never..." Mr.L whispered under his breath.

Mr.L opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by Blumiere walking up with a few people behind him and clearing his throat. Beside Blumiere was a blond girl in a pink dress, behind her another man in red.

"King Dimentio, Princess Peach of the Shroom Kingdom." Blumiere tiredly introduced.

Peach giggled as Blumiere walked off.

"It's actually the Mushroom Kingdom," Peach replied, "We've been your number one trade partner for years now! I'm so glad to be meeting you in person finally."

Peach curtseyed and extended her hand out to Dimentio. Dimentio chuckled nervously and awkwardly shook her hand instead.

"Yes, well... I'm glad to be meeting you as well," Dimentio stated.

Peach hummed in response, obviously expecting a more formal greeting.

"Well... May I at least have the first dance, then? It would be an excellent opportunity to converse." Peach said with a smile.

"U-uhm..." Dimentio stuttered, "Maybe just a conversation..? I-I don't really... dance."

Peach sighed and shrugged in response.

"Alright. Fair enough," Peach replied.

She giggled again and extended another hand to Dimentio.