Freedom Ensnared

Meanwhile, as Blumiere, Marvin, Timpani, and Mr.L began their long trek homeward, the people back in the shadow-covered kingdom became anxious and demanded results. Peach commanded Mario to gather a small group of guards and lead them to the mountains to retrieve Dimentio. Mario instructed all of his men that they were only going to bring back Dimentio, unharmed; Peach instructed them to return with Dimentio at all costs.

Mario marched up the black snow-covered mountain, everyone with him freezing cold as the shadow looming overhead everywhere only became even darker, practically turning out the lights one by one. The man in red paused and held up a hand for his troupe to do the same, all of them now just in front of the black castle.

"Remember; we're only here to help. No harm shall come to the king!" Mario exclaimed, warning all of them.

The small group of people nodded before continuing forward, the door still several yards away. Mario took a step towards the castle and all of a sudden, out of the ground burst Wracktail!

"Run for it!!!" Mario exclaimed.

Meanwhile, inside of the castle, Dimentio remained sitting with his back to the wall, sobbing as ink-like tears fell down his cheeks to the floor, staining his pale face with black streaks. It only seemed to become darker and darker as the shadows deepened around him.

"Conceal, don't feel. Conceal, don't feel. Conceal, don't feel....." Dimentio whispered to himself.

Outside, Wracktail dove down at them and they all jumped out of the way. Mario was quick to react and lept up on top of the mechanical dragon's head. The robot took off to the skies again as Mario climbed up to the antenna.

Dimentio shook his head and took a trembling breath, looking up from the floor. He paused for a moment, perplexed to see a small box wrapped in purple paper and tied with a golden ribbon.

"W-what's this..? How did it get here..?" Dimentio warily asked, wiping a few tears away but leaving black tearstains on his face.

Mario grabbed onto the robotic dragon's antenna and then clenched his fist, sending fire down his arm using what's called Firebrand. He bashed the top of the antenna on Wracktail and the robot let out a screech, taking a nosedive back toward the ground.

Dimentio hesitantly stood up and floated over to where the box sat, looking at it as if it was a foreign object. He bent over and picked up the box, looking it over until he saw the tag on it.

"From... L?" Dimentio questioned, reading the tag, "To..... Me?"

Wracktail crashed into the ground outside, causing the entire mountain to tremble.

"What the-?!" Dimentio exclaimed.

He fumbled with the gift and accidentally dropped it, sending it skidding across the floor. Mario had lept off of the robotic dragon and now threw open the doors to the castle, causing Dimentio to flinch at the loud bang.

"The King should be around here somewhere, search the Inner Sanctum!" Mario commanded.

The troupe quickly fanned out, searching through the long and winding halls of the castle. Dimentio breathed heavily as he began to panic hearing the people coming.

"That's not L... They're after me..." Dimentio murmured.

He flew over and snatched up the present, pocketing it and then flying out into the hall. The guards all flinched as they heard the quick rush of wind from Dimentio flying past them.

"He's flying down the hall!" A guard exclaimed in disbelief.

"We can cut him off! Follow me down this hall!" Mario said.