Chapter 9: The interviews

Today is the interviews. I am dreading this. Effie wants me to show my pregnant belly. I don't know how. I want to ask if my dad would go up with me and we tell the world together. I guess I have to talk with Effie. I am in my room right now and  I hear a knock on my door. I get up and open it. It's Effie standing there with my dad behind her. The come in and we all sit around my bed. I get the desk chair because it's easier to get up out of. 

"So you both are wondering how tonight is going to go. Well I was thinking that Peeta you will go up with her and when she has to twirl her dress you will hold her steady. Before you do that though you might want to give a hint about the baby," Effie says. 

"It's more than one baby Effie," I say. 

"I know but we can save that for later when they find out another way. We should also tell the world how far along you are so that maybe we can cancel the games and after that you can have the twins," Effie says. 

"I guess. What do you think dad?" I ask my father. 

"I mean, we tried that last time and it didn't work," Peeta says. 

"Yes well President Snow was in power a lot longer and knew every move that could stop him. Coin has been in rule of Panem for about twenty five years. She doesn't have much experience," Effie says. 

"True. Maybe it could work," Peeta says. 

"Okay. You both need to get ready. Peeta it might take longer for you since you haven't been going through the makeup and outfit routine," Effie says. 

"Okay, I just want to go get Diana some breakfast," Peeta says. He gets up off the bed and leaves the room. Effie stays with me and I start to rub my belly. 

"I thought going in would be good for everyone but I feel like I'm regretting it now. I shouldn't be regretting it but I just feel  bad for leaving Adrien and ruining his life on not having a family. I don't know how to tell him I am sorry," I say. 

"Can your father sing?" Effie asks. Right as she asks that Peeta comes in. 

"I can. I haven't done it a lot. I sing lullabies to Rosetta," Peeta says. 

"Would you want to sing a song on TV tonight?" Effie asks. 

"I guess why are we singing?" Peeta asks. 

"Diana wants to find a way to tell Adrien she loves him and is sorry for putting her name down. She's now regretting the choice," Effie says. 

"We can do it. I want to say something for Katniss too," Peeta says. 

"Good. I will make sure all the tributes have five minute interviews this time," Effie says. 

"Great. Now dad go get ready and I will see you soon. We got to pick the song first," I say. 

"Why not that song we would play when we made bread on rainy days. Listen to your heart?" Peeta asks. 

"That's a great idea," I say.

"Then we will sing that," Peeta says. He puts the breakfast he got me on the desk and I stand up. I go over and hug him as tight as I can. We eventually let go and he leaves to go work with his prep team. I wait for mine to come. They come in after five minutes and start on my hair. They braid my hair a lot and put flowers in it. When they finish my hair they do my makeup. It' s simple and light and they put simple lip gloss. When they are done, I go out to my room and find Calix standing over my bed that has a wedding dress laid out on it. 

"This is the dress I would have worn for the capital wedding right?"  I ask. 

"Yes, I made it just like your mom's for her interview. It has always able to burn up. I had to change it when you told me about the pregnancy,"  Calix says.