Chapter 5: The secret is out

Adrien's point of View

A merchant in town was kind enough to give us a board with a nice cushion on it to put Diana on. We hurry her to her grandmother's shop in town. She started up a doctor's office in town and Diana's brother works there. We get her inside and Diana's grandmother Melanie looks at us with fear in her eyes. She has Peeta and I carry the board over to an empty cot she has in the back. We put her down and are pushed away from her.  I try to stay but Finnick just keeps pushing me away from her and I have to wait in the waiting room upfront. I sit down and Peeta sits next to me. He rubs my back and it helps a little. 

"I am so stupid. My sister was right. Diana was keeping something from me," I say. 

"She kept it from you because she was scared. She told me because she had no one else but you to tell. I only found out yesterday. She kept putting herself down because she thought we would all disapprove," Peeta says. I look up at him and find tears in his eyes. They are just like Diana's. 

"Why tell you before her own fiance?" I ask him. 

"Well for one, she wanted to paint the baby room. Second, she already told you but you don't remember," Peeta says. I look at him with confusion. 

"Why would I not remember my own fianceé telling me about this?" I ask him. 

"You were drunk," Peeta says. The only times I was really drunk that I couldn't remember anything were at the capital and when we got home and had that party at the president's home.

"I hope they come out of this okay," I say. 

"We all do," Peeta says. We wait and wait. Soon Finnick comes out with a sad face. 

"What's wrong?" I ask him. 

"Well, Diana is going to be okay. After we put her under we did a quick checkup and found out she is carrying a baby," Finnick says. 

"What?" Katniss asks. She had to go back to her house to put Rosetta down for a nap with Johana watching her, so she didn't hear Peeta and I's conversation. 

"Yes, about seven weeks," Peeta says. Katniss looks at her husband with astonishment and anger. 

"How did you know this?" She asks him. 

"She told me yesterday when I went over and painted with her. She had to tell me or it would be awkward to paint a wall for no reason. The wall we painted yesterday was for the baby room," Peeta says. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" Katniss asks. 

"She wanted to tell Adrien first. She just told him when he untied her arm from the whipping post," Peeta says. 

"We also have some news about her arm," Finnick says. 

"What is it, son?"Peeta asks

"We had to call a doctor from the capital to put it back on," Finnick says. 

"What is your grandmother doing right now?" Katniss asks her son. 

"She is cleaning the wounds. She is also putting a snow coat on her back," Finnick says. 

"Can I see her?" I ask.

"Come back tomorrow and see her. You might want to go home and get some sleep," Finnick says. 

"No, I want to see her now," I say. Finnick just shakes his head. 

"I know you really want to see her but we can't allow that at the moment," Finnick says. I stand up and walk toward the door but I turn around and run at Finnick. I tackle him and push him out of the way. I go to the back and find Diana asleep with snow on her back. This is what they mean when they said snow coat. Melanie isn't anywhere. Katniss and Peeta run in behind me. They both look mad but relieved. I pull up a chair and sit by Diana. I grab her right hand and kiss it. I remember the engagement ring and go over to her belongings and grab the ring out of the coat pocket. I go back over and put it on her finger. I sit back and close my eyes. I imagine Diana and me in the woods with our daughter or son. I think it could be a girl. She will look just like Diana. As I sit here I slowly fall asleep.